Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rustic hickory dining table and chairs

Default Rustic hickory dining table and chairs

The dining table was done last year. It measures 10' long x 4' wide x 2" thick. The trestle legs are 6" square. The breadboard ends on the table were actually done using the Domino system. I've attached some pictures of the process.

The chairs were done and just delivered a week ago. 12 of them! Joinery is about 45 Dominos for each chair. The back legs and seats were cut on the Shopbot (Wally). I finished all parts with ML Campbell satin conversion varnish. I do all my finishing prior to assembly. Makes squeeze out much easier to clean up and produces a superior finish when I can finish all the parts laying flat.

This project took an order of about 700 BF of rustic hickory in a special order thru my supplier.

All in all it was a good challenge and fun projects to design, engineer and build.

Customer said it exceeded all expectations they had. Nailed it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

More pictures. Vacuum press was used to laminate 5/4 hickory into thick enough slabs for legs.

Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Nice work.

If I may, I have a few questions..

Did you leave the breadboard end tenon slots loose? Or are they all tight along the whole length? Up in my neck of the woods, on a 48" wide top you could expect the top to move upwards of 1/8" per foot = 1/2" total seasonal movement. Nothing gets glued tight cross grain here, lol.

Do the seats have any carve to them? It is hard to tell but looks like some shaping has been done.

I like hickory a lot. Dont use too much here - its not common. But I love it. My parents entire house is done in hickory floors we milled up. Most people here dont know what it is. Tough stuff - that table should last a few generations

Nice work Don. I too like hickory. The best feeling is when you know you hit the mark with the client.

Andrew,

The breadboard end leaves plenty of expansion/contraction room. In the breadboard, the two center mortises are about 1/8" wider then the tenons. The further out from the center the mortises get wider up to about 5/8" wider on the two outside mortises so the table surface can move freely. Only the two center tenons are glued. The rest are held in place by pegs. The tenons have oblong holes for the pegs so everything can move as needed. I decided on this approach because trying to make a breadboard tenon on a 120"x48" 300lbs tabletop in a one man shop was a little daunting.

Yes, the seats are carved.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Don,
    Looks great! Thanks for posting lots of pics.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Great job as usual, Don! Vac presses are awesome- have wondered about using it for lumber lamination - nice to see you successfully applied it in that way. How did you keep things aligned - simply a countersunk screw?

Also nice to see someone else using the domino so extensively, in addition to making custom width loose tenons. That machine has proven to be one of my absolute favorites. Did you cut back legs and their domino joints on the bot simultaneously? If not, try it - it's a wonderful thing for chairs.

Thanks for sharing the inspirational work and techniques!

Jeff

Don,
    Never CNC'd Hickory...Do you think it would hold detail well in small stuff? Fuzzies?
    NICE!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,

Clear Hickory is ok for carving. VERY sharp bit though. Rustic hickory splinters alot!! Clear hickory splinters some. I've attached a picture of a mantel I take to builders shows that was carved in hickory. It held the detail very well.

Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Thanks Don,
    That's a Beautiful piece!!
    Dad was just asking yesterday about more Native woods.
    Have to locate some thin stock and try it.
    Thanks again,
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine