Thread: Non CNC MLCS router bits?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default Non CNC MLCS router bits?

Are they any good I am specifically looking at bearing guide round over bits and 1/4" flush trim bits with bearings. They are about 1/4 the cost of the ones I have been using. Thanks for any real life experience with them please don't chime in with you get what you pay for unless you have actually tried them and they did not work well.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike…
    I have used them in a table router setup… they worked fine for the relatively light duty I asked of them, but it wasn’t a production situation either.
    SG

I have several MLCS router bits of larger size, like 1/2" bearing guided straight bit and 5/8" and 3/4" bearing guided round over bits that I use in a router table. The router I have is either on or off with a speed of 22,000 rpm. To finally answer your question, they vibrate and feel like they are not real sharp. I will keep them and hope I never have to use them again, but would in a pinch...maybe at a lower rpm they may be ok....joe

Mike, I purchased a couple of larger 90 degree V bits from MLCS. I mounted them in my spindle, and rotated the bits by hand, and determined that the point of the bit was NOT spinning on the center of the axis of rotation, so I never used them for V-carving. However, since they were new, I mounted the biggest one in my router table for general 45degree bevels, and I have been quite pleased with the nice quality of the cut. Again, my use has been light duty, but they seem good in this application. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Thanks for the feedback my use for the round over bits is in my manual router table I round over almost everything that comes off the CNC I work with plastic & aluminum. I have been using Freud bits they cost around $30 each for a 3/16" radius bit with a bearing collar. I use Amana 3/16" & 1/4" flush trim bits to cut my parts from the sheet (plastic) I cut most parts with a .050" skin. I am in need of some new bits so I was surfing the net for a good price when I stumbled on the Eagle America site and priced the MLCS bits. I think I may just buy the Freud bits again I have tried White Side also they seem about equal to the Freud bits.

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike,
    I'd be interested if you ever find something as good as the Freud, but less expensive.
    Have had a 3/16"R Freud chucked in my PC Lam trimmer for over a year now for hardwoods cut on the Desktop. Still cutting great, but eventually she'll wear out...Just like the PC
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default I use the round over's regularly

Mike,
    To specifically address the bits you are interested in,
    I do use several of theirs. The 1/6" radius round over has put in an average 2-4 hours a month for more years than I can count. This is primarily for softening edges of hardwood, and recently some 1 mil edge-banding on melamine, in which it left a very smooth cut in spite of the hours already logged on it. For what you're doing, I believe you'd be perfectly satisfied with their bearing guided round overs. I've used the tri-wing chamfer and round over bits which have performed very well also.

For what it's worth, I've been utilizing their Katana series matched tongue and groove set for frame and panel work. It too has been in service for several years - many pieces of furniture, 3 kitchens worth of doors and numerous bath cab doors. I like the 1/2" depth of cut over the 3/8" tongue typical of most cope/stick sets. This is a triple wing style bit, which I believe contributes to the longevity and quality of cut. As with any bit, faithfully applying zero-clearance methodology with your router table fence will provide the cleanest results, even on the most tear-out prone wood.

I have no reason to look for another manufacturer when I decide to replace the bits discussed here.

Jeff

Caveat #1 - I am not a production shop.
    Caveat #2 - I do small runs of 'stuff' and usually with different kinds of materials.
    Caveat #3 - I don't know enough about bits in general to know exactly which ones to use where.

Having said all that I have used Eagle stuff since I first got my machine back in 2008. Mostly 1/2 inch shaft stuff but also some of the 1/4 inch shaft stuff. They 'seem' to work as advertised and I have no complaints about them. I have used quite a large variety of their bits and all have performed as I expected. I have not cut any metal stuff, just wood and sintra. I recently cut 48 corbels out of 2x12 pine stock 6 feet long and the last one cut was just as clean as the first one. Like I said I'm not a production shop but because of their low price, they 'seem' to work for me. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Mike, I have used a variety of manufacture's bits. I have used the MLCS bits for several years. They merged with Eagle America recently. I have found the EA bits to be a slightly better quality than the MLCS so I buy more of them now. If I have a choice I will go with a tri-tip cutting bit over a single or double, because the cutting quality is noticeably better. The bearing guide bits are of reasonable quality. I have used them a lot, and have not had a bearing fail yet.