Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilloche Pattern Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    In case you didn't know: ShopBot-O-Graph

-B
    Yes, have not seen that. It would do similar things. Unfortunately my machine controller does not understand .sbp

One advantage of the version that I wrote yesterday is that it can modulate the carving depth n-times per revolution of the "small wheel" and it can generate oval, circular, square or rectangular perimeter.
    I guess I will keep playing with that for a while and make it user friendly if it makes sense.

But if somebody knows of similar software that is already out there please let me know. No point reinventing the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Funny, Never even heard of a "Rose Engine" before this...
    This has been around for about 10 years now. I think I have a spindle and bearings around for it somewhere. Rose engines and Ornamental Lathes have been around for hundreds of years. This is a whole branch unto itself & there is some tie-in to 'guilloche', engine turning and similar disciplines dealing with decorative craft work and embelishment.

Gert - I don't know of a spirograph type program that alters the Z. Not sure how predicable or controllable that would be though.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Gert and Brady,
    You guys got me thinking what might be done with ovals/changing rotation points/editing start points/and circular array using a fluting toolpath and a pointed roundover.
    Nothing JUMPS at me, but only spent 20 minutes on it. I can see possibilities
    Definitely going to play with it some more
    Pretty hit or miss at the moment.
    All using same exact oval, except for one on right(deleted a side node).
    Thanks for stimulating the gray matter!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Doing a bit more research, I found one can buy a brand new Rose Engine lathe for only $4350. No software required
    But I guess I will rather spend a few more computer hours on my new fad.

If you really want to head down the rabbit hole, try this http://ornamentalturning.net/print/c...ors_books.html. warning, your brain might explode

"code allows to create a pattern and related toolpaths in a minute without drafting, import to CAM and fluting/carving toolpath specification."

G,
    Can you please keep in mind people like me that do multiples on a fixed size sheet and need to tweak nesting/linear arrays to fit various cutout bits?
    Will it generate a .tap code, or a shape(.eps?) that can be further manipulated and then vary Fluting for different permutations?
    Forwarded to 10 people, and the non-CNC'ers all liked first and last pic
    Also snuck this thread link into Vectric forum when a Lady from Oz accused me of having to much Fun
    She said having to much FUN was bad for your health!
    Think you might have to post a health warning on this program
    Going to have a contest again?
    My ball end plunge bit showed up the same day your last MazeMaker license got given away
    Love to see the stuff you come up with!!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ..........Going to have a contest again?......
    Oh my...don't get too excited. So far this was an evenings' worth of coding and is very crude. To get to the point of making it generally available would take a lot of real work.

If I did that it would probably look similar to the other things I did. Generate g-code directly and maybe dxf (the latter without depth information). Had not thought of multiples/cloning because my machine controller can do that already but would be easy to implement.

Let me dig in my drawer, there may be still a Mazemaker license left over (email sent). Keep in mind this is still Beta.

NOPE GERT-----YESTERDAY!!!!
    THAT was a VERY pleasant surprise to see that E-Mail
    You shouldn't have!
    NOW I'll have to open the bit box/measure it/install it in database/throw the packing away/ AND READ THE DIRECTIONS AGAIN !!!
    Sounds a lot like WORK!
    Found out I've become Sensitized to the stuff and I break out in a rash
    Oh well.
    Thank You Gert!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Here's a very cool program that's a macro for CorelDraw
    http://dev.oberonplace.com/products/...sign/index.htm

I don't believe it has any function to control depth since it was primarily designed for printing.
    You may be able to assign depth by colors or layers once exported to the CAM program?

Quote Originally Posted by feinddj View Post
    If you really want to head down the rabbit hole, try this http://ornamentalturning.net/print/c...ors_books.html. warning, your brain might explode
    No, not going down that rabbit hole....but found this page with 3 very impressive videos about Rose Engine machines. Just fascinating, recommended to watch.

In the meantime I got a little more work done on my vitual Rose Engine. It could never replicate the hand crafted designs of these masters but I think I can make this a useful program in the CNC world at some point. For that matter it could do some things that are impossible with a mechanical engraving machine as well. This could be used for ornamental designs, inlays or texture patterns and combined with text or other vectors e.g. in Vcarve. Some screen pictures for now but I will start cutting some wood or brass next week.