Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilloche Pattern Generator

Looking Good G. !!
    Little concerned with my small stuff that sanding even slightly with 320G afterwards, OR using a coarse/open grain wood, that the tiny lines will disappear?
    Is the width of the tiny/thin line controlled by the "Color/Width" "Min. Width" Variable box? Guess you could N(udge) or trick out your Z, but hoping that variable is in there?
    VERY INTERESTING!!
    Of course I Don't understand it
    Probably create something that resembles some of my "Open Vectors" disasters when I very first started designing
    Brass? Many,Many Multiple passes with VBit?
    Like it
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Looking Good G. !!
    .......Is the width of the tiny/thin line controlled by the "Color/Width" "Min. Width" Variable box? Guess you could N(udge) or trick out your Z, but hoping that variable is in there?...........
    .........Brass? Many,Many Multiple passes with VBit?...........
    Yes, the "Min. width" controls that. For the pictures it is zero and the bit will just touch the surface. But it can be set to any reasonable width. If it is equal to "Max. width", the groove width is constant. If the "Min width" is negative, there will be an interrupted groove path which also makes for a nice pattern. I am making some good progress with that and have a week off. I hope to have something to play with in a week or so. Also working on a high resolution colored bitmap export that can be vectorized in Vcarve and combined with other toolpaths.

I will try the brass with a 90-degree spade type engraving bit with 0.01" tip radius. Regular V-bits for routers are not that great and the tip break easily. But I tried that only once and am not sure about feed, speed and depth. Probably going to start with 18krpm, 0.5ips and 0.01 depth.

If somebody has a better idea how to engrave 360 alloy brass, please let me know.

O.K., just had to try a real one.... This is a more classic guilloche, 2" diameter in brass, total machine time 15 minutes. The speed and feed worked but the bit was somewhat dull, I need a new one.
    Not bad for a first try on a wood router IMO. I am amazed how much more detail the brass can hold vs. hardwood. This engraving is only 0.01" deep

Almost a Moire effect
    NOT going to show it to Dad!!! Brass Buttons
    scott P.
    Maine

Brass buttons take just too long to cut with small bits. Not a good business idea.

But if you want to diversify from buttons, why not making wood jewelry. Here is a set of earrings I made with toolpaths from the guilloche gizmo for my wife who is doing beading and handmade jewelry.
    In that case I used the pattern bitmap to import into VcarvePro. Nice thing it uses very little expensive lumber and cuts in only a few minutes. This is 1/8" cocobolo, 2.5"tall and 1.5" wide.

Thanks G.
    I was just joking. So far behind now it's NOT a joke
    Nope Dad is fully into "Button Mode" to get the Northern start-up in the black.
    May make a few of these for the "Odds and Ends" page our photographer made for Kirk's website to check interest level.
    Probably Bloodwood as Dad dropped it from the basic Fluted designs in favor of Padauk.
    Need to add a dozen Celtics and a dozen VCarved, and try a few 3D's to add to the one's Kirk made in pic.
    Photographer cum web person Kelly, is really pumped since I had her run a batch last Tuesday and she saw the Desktop cutting at HER button pushing!
    She Just sent a new pic today! Beginning to resemble a product line.
    Just had an idea for Exotic wood ski jacket zipper pulls last week, but no protos yet.
    Sorry for the shameless plug
    Keep working on Guilloche please? We'll plug you in return
    Thanks for thinking of us Gert!!
    scott
    Oh, What's wood under Cocobolo? Pretty Burl pattern!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

....Oh, What's wood under Cocobolo? Pretty Burl pattern!!!
    Unfortunately no idea. Might even be maple. At some point I bought a cheap veneer variety pack on ebay with a bunch of wonderful burl patterns. They also make a good photo background for small parts.

There is a need for ornamental turning/guilloche CNC software.
    Have not yet found a comprehensive piece of software for something that is clearly very well suited to modern cnc machines.
    Make it generate G code for use on routers/mills/lathes and make is $50 or less.
    A rotary indexer on a shopbot could create pretty much anything an old rose engine or or ornamental lathe could do except for the lack of software to do it with!

I am an engineer but not that much of a software guy so it would be a HUGE project for me and I am waiting.
    waiting
    still waiting
    getting pissy but still waiting....

c'mon!

Douglas,
    Sincerely hoping that was said "tongue in cheek" and simply expressing your interest in a project that has grabbed G's interest!
    It is a HUGE project for anybody and G. isn't a software engineer either!!
    He does this for his own enjoyment AFTER his day job And in between his other projects.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ch-Display-Box
    IF you go to his TailMaker site you'll see his prices are Extremely reasonable!
    This started in the same spirit as his other software ideas;

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ooked-on-Mazes

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...Joint-Software

And will take Many iterations, suggestions from Forum, Beta testing, AND he always tries to make it compatible for SB3 when he doesn't even have a Shopbot and had to Learn the language just so Lazy Idiots like ME could use it!!!

He's certainly Not going to get rich from it(check his Box and Dovetail Software link IF you haven't), And I'm quite positive that Glitches and making it simple enough for non-engineers to use, will start driving him up the wall about 3/4's of the the way through

Patience.
    With G., It's usually well worth it!!!
    scott

Sorry G., Know you don't need defending, but read in the wee hours and got slightly miffed.
    scott P.
    Maine

........Sorry G., Know you don't need defending, but read in the wee hours and got slightly miffed.....
    Scott, I appreciate your enthusiasm but I suspect you read criticism into Douglas post where I see rather a nudge to get me motivated

Actually, the Guilloche software is a MUCH smaller project than the box joints dovetails or the yet unfinished maze software. I think I can knock out something in a week or two.
    That would be for direct g-code output as well as a high-res bitmap export for v-carving.
    Not sure about the indexer yet. So fat it is for flat surfaces but maybe I pick up that idea later for rotary machining. What would you do with that on an indexer? Decorative patterns on columns or pens?