Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Guilloche Pattern Generator

Thanks for the hint...but I don't believe there is something fishy going on. My web site is hosted by godaddy.com

One annoying thing that came up recently is that some browsers like Chrome (and maybe security software?) point out the lack of a security certificate (i.e. a regular http://tailmaker.net versus a secured https://tailmaker.net ).
    Conveniently, Godaddy is offering such a certificate for another wad of money but so far I am trying to stay away from that. As long as this forum does not have I don't think I will bother.

Edited to say: Now I noticed this was not about my web site but the Shopbottograph...nevermind and I do not know anything about that.

No worries on my part G.,Just glad you're doing it and not me
    Have a tough problem just typing before java, than imagining changing that program for tapered rotary!
    Congrats on retiring....GLAD you brain didn't!!
    scott

Need to read and use the program again, BUT still distinctly remember having Dad and the 3 ladies in the shop for a meeting on new designs. I loaded the program before reading instructions and they were enthralled...BUT the voices over my shoulder kept saying "No No....go back 3 designs!"!!!!
    Is there an undo button in the works
    Glad to see you tinkering with it again....time has flown!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Good progress...the variable diameter on the indexer works and I guess it is quite promising.
    As a test I engraved a wine bottle with different patterns. However, the bottle neck taper was probably a little too steep for the blunt 120 diamond drag bit and sometimes it did not dig into the glass.

Measuring the bottle shape at 10 points. Unfortunately I had to empty this bottle before the experiment:

Control plot of the measured shape in the software:

Guilloche pattern tool path warped to conform with the bottle as seen in the machine conrol software:

Engraving with the diamond bit. Was just a test but maybe I keep the bottle...

Looks like you're getting a handle on it G.
    Holder for the bottle base looks interesting.
    Who's digital indicator is that, and what's the travel?
    Need to get an indicator.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Holder for the bottle base looks interesting.
    It is the Oneway Talon chuck with large jaws and cushioned with a non-slip foam rubber strip. They are 4-jaw chucks intended for wood lathes but I managed to get it installed on the indexer.

Who's digital indicator is that, and what's the travel?
    It is This One. I have also several mechanical dial indicators that I normally use but once a while this one comes handy because it is much more accurate and can measure millimeter and inches. In this case I used it because it has a tubular stub on top so that I can clamp it with a bushing in a 1/2" spindle collet. The disadvantage compared to the cheap mechanical ones is it has only 1/2" travel (vs. 1") and the 2032 battery lasts maybe 1-2 years.

Thanks Gert,
    You can tell I'm not a rotary person...it looked good for that application
    Bookmarked the digital, but looking for more out-of-the-box mounting options I think after reading reviews.
    OUCH...Starrett totally out of my finance range...shoot!
    Thanks again!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Never mind, for most practical purposes the Harborfreight dial indicators are totally adequate and really cheap. They just don't have that top stub but a screw tab in the back instead and you must make up something if you need to mount it in the spindle collet.

Get back to topic Gert
    I have an aversion to Harbor Freight from my bicycle shop days...darn benchtop drillpress was eccentric even with a new Jacobs chuck...to bad to use, and not bad enough to throw away
    Same with some other tools...saved for better tools after that.
    I'll find a good quality analog or digital that won't cost $300-600
    Thanks for helping G. !
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Get back to topic Gert....
    O.K., back to topic. I did not do so much over the weekend on this project except an experiment engraving stainless sheets. These are gold hued 3.3" dia stainless coasters from IKEA. At $7 for 6 coasters a good experimentation target.
    The left is again a diamond drag pattern that took maybe 2 minutes at 6 ips. The right is a real varying depth carve that was done using a 90 degree carbide spade engraver at 0.4 ips, 18krpm and 5/1000" depth of cut. Took some 55 minutes. That stainless steel is really tough and any faster or deeper it will rip the tip off the engraving bit.

Well, back to Harborfreight. I agree they have a lot of **** products but once a while you can get someting decent (maybe not exceptional) at a good price. I would never buy power tools there but e.g. the wrenches and sockets are good.
    Actually most of my weekend I spent assembling 3 of their hardwood work benches, upgrading the drawers with quality slides and adding a pencil ditch. I know these are not like the beautiful benches you can buy for $3000+ but I am not that rich.
    I guess they will do a reasonable job for me and at $129 each (with coupon) I could not even buy the hardwood lumber to build one.
    Similarly the mechanical dial indicators. I have 3 of them from Harborfreight and all work very well. In such cases no reason for me to spend more on a brand name product that is probably made in China just as well.

Glad you didn't take that wrong G. Whew
    Darn can't see pics of the work...only the HF benches...Probably a Firefox thing maybe?
    Will check with different browser after my shop work.
    Will check out HF indicators. Seem to remember my Dad's old head machinist recommending a Japanese brand when we first set up, but Dad never bought
    Have to pic his brain and see if it's within my budget(got a "Gift" from Dad, but have prioritize and spend wisely).
    Looking forward to seeing the pics Gert!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine