Thread: Vacuum press bags?

Default Vacuum press bags?

Does anyone have some tips? I want to do some skateboards and long boards. Maybe in the future get into surf boards and snowboards. I am looking for some good but low cost vacuum bags. Do the "space saver bags" hold up?

Any suggestions?

The space savers might work but for small projects I have used vacuum food storage bags that come on a roll like this: http://amzn.com/B0063HZVBC
    11" wide and disposable. May be difficult to re-use anyway if you have resin inside.

Try taking a crash course in vacuum pressing here:
    www.joewoodworker.com

I have a Vacupress venturi pump system, but began using Joe's accessories such as bags and glue quite a few years ago. Outstanding value/service for pro or hobbyist, and you'll get a great education if you check out his articles about DIY Vac presses.

As to the food storage approach - don't even know where to begin - what are you using for vac source? Are people actually successfully using these for veneer work?

jeff

www.roarockit.com is who you need to talk to.

Ted and Norah run a tight ship and will sort you out.

As for space savers, no not at all. Far too fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    .....As to the food storage approach - don't even know where to begin - what are you using for vac source? Are people actually successfully using these for veneer work? ....
    As I mentioned, couple of small oddball projects, like epoxy laminating pieces of veneer for custom plywood or resin impregnation. They would be way to small for furniture veneer work.

thanks guys

You can easily make a bag. You can also buy some thin bagging material which will not hold up for long here, https://www.acpsales.com/Vacuum-Bags...Peel-Plys.html. This material will let you try vacuum bagging at a relatively low cost. I would reccommend buying the quick lock seals but you can also seal the ends with something like "Tacky Tape" which Home Depot may sell. It is more like a sticky putty in roll form than tape and is used with some metal roofing. You can also use it to seal the vacuum hose coming in. Metal roofing suppliers will have it.

If the process works for you you can purchase a commercial bag. A polyurethane bag will last an awfully long time and stand up to a lot of abuse. I know because I constantly abuse mine with odd and curved shapes and forms.

I've always been baffled by the desire to spend large quantities of money on something that is ultimately so simple. I've never wanted to reuse a bag or bagging material. I know guys who spend more on a reusable silicone bag than I will on a roll of disposable material. My roll will last at least 4 times longer. Get yourself some poly tubing and some alex caulk to seal it up. We bag against a solid surface and use 1mil polypropylene as a bagging film. 1 tube of alex caulk will last about 10 cycles. Polypro can handle up to 265 deg F.