Metal working is something I am aware of... having done very little of it myself (aside from beating something back into shape with a sledge hammer) I'm struggling with where to even begin on a couple of project ideas. I don't even know what to ask really.

Are there any welders and/or sheet metal workers out there?

1) I want to make a bracket to hang our bat houses on a pole. I have a concept already but I don't know how practical it is to manufacture. If it turns out to cost $300 to make it'll be useless art to me. The price point would be about $50 give or take.
Questions on #1)
If I were to show up at your welding shop, would you rather have a drawing with dimensions or a prototype made out of wood?
Is it possible to efficiently weld 1/4" to 3/8" nuts onto steel for set bolts?
Can you weld on nylon lock nuts?

2) I want to make a roof panel with rolled edges (no sharp edges to get cut on) that slides over our plywood roof instead of shingles. There are several metal fabricators in our area but I don't have a clue what I'm really asking for or how practical the idea is for such a small panel. The one I contacted asked me to bring him a metal prototype (not cardboard). But I suspect if I could make a metal prototype... I could make the panels. The panel would be about 20" wide, 4.5" to 6.5 " deep and rolled on 3 sides (front and the two short sides). Ideally not just rolled but shaped to slip over 1/2" plywood.
Questions on #2)
Is there a small metal break and tools that I could purchase along with a roll of flashing and do this myself?
I guess... I can make one up quickly out of cardboard and a razor knife. I basically make a 3 sided box that only has 1/2" high sides, how do I translate that to metal?

Any help is appreciated but of course not required.

Thanks,
/RB