Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal workers...

Default Metal workers...

Metal working is something I am aware of... having done very little of it myself (aside from beating something back into shape with a sledge hammer) I'm struggling with where to even begin on a couple of project ideas. I don't even know what to ask really.

Are there any welders and/or sheet metal workers out there?

1) I want to make a bracket to hang our bat houses on a pole. I have a concept already but I don't know how practical it is to manufacture. If it turns out to cost $300 to make it'll be useless art to me. The price point would be about $50 give or take.
    Questions on #1)
    If I were to show up at your welding shop, would you rather have a drawing with dimensions or a prototype made out of wood?
    Is it possible to efficiently weld 1/4" to 3/8" nuts onto steel for set bolts?
    Can you weld on nylon lock nuts?

2) I want to make a roof panel with rolled edges (no sharp edges to get cut on) that slides over our plywood roof instead of shingles. There are several metal fabricators in our area but I don't have a clue what I'm really asking for or how practical the idea is for such a small panel. The one I contacted asked me to bring him a metal prototype (not cardboard). But I suspect if I could make a metal prototype... I could make the panels. The panel would be about 20" wide, 4.5" to 6.5 " deep and rolled on 3 sides (front and the two short sides). Ideally not just rolled but shaped to slip over 1/2" plywood.
    Questions on #2)
    Is there a small metal break and tools that I could purchase along with a roll of flashing and do this myself?
    I guess... I can make one up quickly out of cardboard and a razor knife. I basically make a 3 sided box that only has 1/2" high sides, how do I translate that to metal?

Any help is appreciated but of course not required.

Thanks,
    /RB

Robert
    In the long distant past I needed some accurate sheet metal parts for photo lights, after several tries I found an HVAC metal fabricator who was able to make them at a good price. I would try that industry for your roof parts. Hvac people don't expect high prices for "duct work parts"
    Bob

I may be able to help with a prototype. I have been building out of metal and sheet metal for many years and have a good understanding of what could be done. Can you send a rough sketch of what you want?
    Im in minnesota but thats really no problem maybe i can get you what you need to get started. There are some limitations to bending sheet metal , (due to the machines i have) but a real sheet metal shop would be able to get what you would need based on a prototype.
    It is very easy to weld nuts to steel. The nylon nuts not so much as the nylon tends tomelt away unless you just tack them on.
    Send me a email at jd@npcrobotics if your interested and i will see if i can help.

Good luck
    Jd

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I do a fair amount of metal working I have a shear, brake, large wire feed welder, CNC bed mill, lathe Etc. I belong to several metal working forums. You can get a wealth of information from being on the right forum just like this one. If I can help let me know and try this forum they are very easy on new guys. I belong to some that will not tolerate newbie questions and will refer you to one of the other sites. Try this one http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forums/3-General They have a welding section also. Here is one on just sheet metal http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/forum/ there are other forums also so there is a wealth of information out there you can learn a lot from youtube also.

I am not a wood worker but I dable in wood working a bit many of the members here are great wood workers and I love seeing their projects. I make more mechanical type parts with my router and machine parts out of aluminum & plastic.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

for the roof aluminum might be a better way to go.

Before designing a pole bracket you may want to look at brackets for metal conduit there is quite a variety of fixtures many are designed for outdoor use.

Thanks for the responses, it's been helpful. It hadn't occurred to me that HVAC guys work metal like that. Sticking with the roof panel first because it seems the most practical right now... See images. This is the roof panel in cardboard. It slips onto the bat house roof and I plan to just use the poly to basically glue it to bat house. It is 19 3/8" wide and this one is 6 1/2" wide. It is covering 15/32 ACX. Ultimately I would like to offer them in painted aluminum and copper.

I found videos on 3 in 1 roll brake shears, they look like they might work but I can't find a video where they are making those kinds of bends exactly.

I'm not sure how to address the corners. On the cardboard I simply cut them based on stuff I've seen. I would want to try to avoid having to cut each one with hand shears. i.e. I'd want to do the least cutting possible then bend them.

Can you guys suggest what the process to make something like this out of metal might be? In an ideal solution I could just make these in shop and stack them off to the side.

John, if you think this is something easy to make let me know. If you can prototype it I can offer to cover your costs.

/RB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or maybe a box pan brake is what I want. But I don't see any demo's where the full lap over is created with one, only the first bend.

Harry Send me a private message with your phone # and I'll call it will be easier to explain over the phone than on here

OK, this seems like the perfect tool for the job
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruSDNgvb7KY

But as I can't find it in the U.S. or a price, I'm looking at this. I found one new for $650 locally so no shipping.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GQNu9m21I

Since thinking about doing the roof, I've also designed a predator guard and a bird perch predator guard that could be made with it.

A shear of some kind will be the next challenge, but I figure cutting them with hand shears for a while shouldn't be a huge problem.

Haven't made my purchases yet so if you got thoughts or different ideas chime in. I did find the 48" break at Northern Tool cheaper... but with descriptions like "if you're willing to reweld it, it's great..." uhh... I think I'll pass on it.

/RB