Thread: Your shop floor space and arrangement

Default Your shop floor space and arrangement

How "open" or "not open" is your shop floor space? While I like a nice clean uncluttered shop I've discovered something about myself.

In the shop, I tend to push tools and benches further apart in favor of "open space". Like I can't have a "good" shop unless I have open walk ways and clear spaces on the floor. When I crowd things up I start to feel like I can't work. I know the miter saw could literally go within a couple of feet of the bandsaw with no problem and I could stand in one place, turn and start cutting but I tend to keep 4 or 5 feet open without thinking about it.

However, at my desk I tend to crowd everything right around me. I'm the opposite of being in the shop. If things are too open, it doesn't feel right, I have to drag my book cases closer, the printers need to be where I can see them, I have an audio mixer, microphones, DI's all on my desk even though I could put them away when not using them. And I'll get something else in the room to eat up any empty space.

Probably an indication of some deep rooted psychological problem but whatever it is, I was wondering about your "problems". Do you have a "crawl over things" tendency, or would the salt flats seems like almost enough floor space?

/RB

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    How "open" or "not open" is your shop floor space? While I like a nice clean uncluttered shop I've discovered something about myself.

In the shop, I tend to push tools and benches further apart in favor of "open space". Like I can't have a "good" shop unless I have open walk ways and clear spaces on the floor. When I crowd things up I start to feel like I can't work. I know the miter saw could literally go within a couple of feet of the bandsaw with no problem and I could stand in one place, turn and start cutting but I tend to keep 4 or 5 feet open without thinking about it.

However, at my desk I tend to crowd everything right around me. I'm the opposite of being in the shop. If things are too open, it doesn't feel right, I have to drag my book cases closer, the printers need to be where I can see them, I have an audio mixer, microphones, DI's all on my desk even though I could put them away when not using them. And I'll get something else in the room to eat up any empty space.

Probably an indication of some deep rooted psychological problem but whatever it is, I was wondering about your "problems". Do you have a "crawl over things" tendency, or would the salt flats seems like almost enough floor space?

/RB
    I have everything as tight as I can get it, and still have safe and adequate room to work around all my machines, and work tables & benches. I have a LOT of machinery crammed into my 3400 sq ft working shop - and I am still trying to get more in there yet.

I keep everything put away and stored (hand tools, tooling etc) unless I am using it for the task at hand. Walking in the shop you dont see much hand tools as they are all away in benches and cabinets until they are used.

I try and work within as small an area as you can so you dont waste time walking around. Mainly when doing assembly, machining operations, etc.

I certainly do not like "crawling over" things, or tripping up on parts, tools etc. But at the same time, I dislike having things too far from confortable reach. Efficiency I guess...

I live in San Diego where rent per square foot is abominable. So efficiency is almost a necessity.

that being said, I find for my creative process I need to be able to get from one side of the shop to the other quickly.

to answer... I try to push machines that work in sequence together as close as possible. i.e. sander & polisher right next to each other on the same bench. The Bot however has its own space with plenty of room around it. My design computer is in a little nook with multiple bookcases and whiteboard where I can swivel my chair and reach anything.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

That is interesting. I definitely need to "compress" things and get over my hang ups about the space in the shop. I hadn't even considered rental costs, probably because I have my own building on the farm so it doesn't enter my thoughts. If I were writing a check each month for sqft I bet I would stop wanting 5' isles in a hurry.

Would anyone be willing to share your "cheats"? i.e. really unique ways for doubling up on floorspace or arranging equipment to take full advantage of floor space?

I will be building a parts rack/door in my shop. I have a rack to store ready to assemble parts for bat houses and I have a door way into an equipment room that just sits there consuming wall space (it's a door) and someone suggested I make my parts rack a "hidden door" and utilize the space. Love the idea.

How else are you using all that empty space under your bot? Do you put doors to work? Have you done something like a hideaway bed to create/hide workspace?

/RB

I started out with LOTS of open space, but . . . . . The major hangup now is around my 19inch band saw, pretty crowded! I have several pieces on roll arounds so that helps with some projects. Most of my projects are made from sheet goods so flat top surfaces are at a premium.

Now my desk/office area is a totally different animal! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

I do a lot of cabinet work so storage of work in process is very important for me. With this in mind I need open space to store the completed boxes as I build faceframes, door, drawers, etc. I also do large furniture pieces like dining tables and chairs so need space to work on these.

My shop is fairly open. Yes I spend a little time transiting from one area to another put it is necessary considering the majority of work I do requiring the open space.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Work out of a single car garage, with a 48x96 ShopBot, and have to share garage space with some freezers, so I have very limited space. Usually have to open garage door and slide out some equipment, so I put lots of things on carts and casters for easy movement. Only have about 3 feet on 3 sides of bot, and 1 foot on 4th side, so it's tight space. Which drives me crazy, I like open areas! For assembly I bring into my house into my family room, where I can create a 10x15 area by sliding couch up (which is on a rug over laminate flooring so it slides super easily.) Lots of multilevel storage, and cabinets on walls to use every square inch of storage. And keep things like clamps and such in attic that I have staircase access to from garage.

Figure have to make due with what I have, and just make the best use of the space I have, and not let it drive me crazy. Worse part is the 30 to 45 minutes setup before working, and the 30 to 45 minute breakdown after working, but this is hobby for me so I can live with that.

I downsized from 2400 to 1500 to 528 sq. ft. over the space of a year so had to rethink things completely right down to saving inches. For example, everything except the big compressor in the corner now rolls and is pulled out as needed. I was able to save quite a bit of space by replacing all of my trapezoid shaped stands with Dewalt DW7350 planer stands. They originally sold these with the foot pedal sticking out but had issues with people tripping over the mechanism so now show it mounted with the mechanism swung under the table. I found that this made it near impossible to apply because the shelf prevents you from getting your foot in. I got around this by simply pulling the axle pin and reversing the pedal, which works fine for me. I also plan to gain another few inches on each by inserting sized pieces of hardwood into the lower base for support and installing the two side wheels on the inside. These tables are very solid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shopbot Buddy BT48-12z alpha
    2', 4', 8' Powersticks
    Shopbot indexer
    Shopbot airdrill
    4hp HSD spindle
    Aspire 4.5

Ron,
    My "cheats" are on intake end of the shop as they pertain to processing both solids and plys.
    My "cheat" for sheet goods is to bring a rolling cart of 4x8 sheet goods that just fits in the door, with about 3' of room off the end of the shopbot. No lifting, just slide off cart to CNC table. A low rolling cart has removable bars so it can roll under the 'bot when empty, stab bars on either end as parts come off and stack vertically. Large orders I'll apply removable labels with part#s and description as printed using my Cutlist-fx program.

Solids- table saw outfeed is aimed at a 45 degree angle to jointer parked parallel to wall. A 24" walkway allows me to grab rough rips from table saw outfeed and process on the jointer without moving my feet more than 1-2 steps. A rolling cart nearby accepts the jointed stock and is positioned naturally to go to planer next. Walkway between TS outfeed and jointer is now the swing space for stock being fed into planer. Outfeed table then gets slid 3-4 ft sideways to accept outfeed from sander.

Looks like a cluster, but flows nicely with minimal walking.

Completely different on other end of the shop. 12'x24' clear space for whatever I'm assembling. Wide variety of work dictates I must be more flexible on that end of the room.

Upon going full time 8 years ago, I quickly found the wheels coming off the machines, and more rolling carts to move raw materials. The $200 hydraulic lift carts are great with a 30x60" slab top, as I can adjust for catching stock outfeeding from planer or sander, as well as assembly of awkward/weighty items.

jeff

outfeed cart.jpgTS Jointer planer.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    I downsized from 2400 to 1500 to 528 sq. ft. over the space of a year so had to rethink things completely right down to saving inches. For example, everything except the big compressor in the corner now rolls and is pulled out as needed. I was able to save quite a bit of space by replacing all of my trapezoid shaped stands with Dewalt DW7350 planer stands. They originally sold these with the foot pedal sticking out but had issues with people tripping over the mechanism so now show it mounted with the mechanism swung under the table. I found that this made it near impossible to apply because the shelf prevents you from getting your foot in. I got around this by simply pulling the axle pin and reversing the pedal, which works fine for me. I also plan to gain another few inches on each by inserting sized pieces of hardwood into the lower base for support and installing the two side wheels on the inside. These tables are very solid.
    That table I like... just ordered one. I'll be replacing several trap stands myself now.