Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: some recent work

Default some recent work

I dont post a lot of work lately, that doesnt mean we havent been busy lol...

Here are a few recent jobs done in the past several weeks...

First a kitchen, all maple (veneered frameless cases with 3mm edgebanded edges, maple frame and panel doors, wood dovetailed drawers on Blum Movento slides - post cat lacquer finish).

Some of the cabinets are finished in a dark walnut stain, the main part of the kitchen is done in an ivory stain/glaze.

Still have the under cabinet lighting to go in and the valences (Monday) and they are getting granite tops put in soon as well. Ill post a pic when its comepletely done.

The old counters are on the cabinets temporarily.. the gas range went in this week as well.

A decent size millwork job I just completed today - 20+ interior doors, including some french doors (15 light bevelled glass) and closet doors, etc.

800 feet of casing, and50 feet of baseboard. All milled in house from American Poplar, and stained a very dark burgundy stain I mixed to the customers specs. Everything finished in satin post cat lacquer.

Plus the mantle.

Took three gallons of stain and about 10 gallons of finish. Looks really sharp.

I also did some cabinet work for this customer. This is a towel storage chest/seat for the bathroom.

I have a table also under way for them, and some custom seating.

And this was just a memorial pladone recently for the local Italian club, to list the deceased members over the history of the club's 80 or so years here.

Cut the lettering and grape vines with the bot. Its a large plaque, almost 5' square. Solid cherry.

Funny thing is I suggested twice to do the V carved lettering in gold. They said no, do it in black. A week after it was done, they asked if I could re do it in gold. I said it isnt simple... lol.

All very nice!!

The Towel storage cabinet top, is that solid or ply?

Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lucas View Post
    All very nice!!

The Towel storage cabinet top, is that solid or ply?

Tim
    The only ply in it are the panels (3/4" G2S maple) and the bottom is 1/4" Baltic Birch. The top is 3/4" solid maple, with breadboard ends (loose tenons except for the center few inches which are glued)

I have some press in rubber bumpers which hold the lid off the case about 1/8" - they soften the drop of the lid - which is slow anyhow due to the lid stay - but also allow some air movement around the underside of the lid. I havent had too much issues with warping in this type of situation.

Work coming up looks good for the next several months... I have another kitchen to start this week (maple) and really nice one after that in walnut! I have more railing work, many misc cabinets (entertainment units, book cases, more kitchen stuff, etc) and some furniture as well.

Always pricing more work out I can do - which is good. I guess the location I am in, and lack of other woodworking shops (that actually work in wood) tends tokeep me and the few other wood shops very steady, and most of the time turning away work.

Andrew

Beautiful as always Andrew.

You do some fantastic work. I'll bet you have lots of happy customers.

Thanks for posting.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Andrew, thank you for posting the photos and captions. Your work is always interesting, great quality and inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Beautiful as always Andrew.

You do some fantastic work. I'll bet you have lots of happy customers.

Thanks for posting.
    Well, most of my customers are great to work for. Seldom do I have issues - in fact the last time I had any trouble with a job was several years ago. After 20 years now in business in charge of the company, I tend to read people well and will decline work for those who I think will be problematic. Usually those are the ones who say they want all this custom work,and then want to pay "Walmart" prices.. lol. Or the ones who I have heard were difficult to deal with from other trades people.

I am never happy with the work I turn out though. There is always something I wish I did better or bit differently. I think that is what keeps the job fresh and exciting. My mind is always thinking about next job and how to do better.

I will post some better photos of the kitchen when its is completed.