Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: some recent work

Quote Originally Posted by David Iannone View Post
    Andrew,
    I gotta say, glad you chose SB. I have read your posts and your upgrades to your machine as you progressed. Thank you for documenting YOUR progress with pics and descriptions.

It is tough today to float a business. But with guys like you sharing your success with thier SB is why this forum will continue to be the best.

Dave
    Dave, I just posted some of my philosophy on work in the mdf doors thread. Again, I really do enjoy all kinds of work, not just one thing or the other. For that millwork job, we processed about 1400 board feet of American poplar (bought in rough, I always mill my own stock) and for several days we were just jointing/planing then shaping and assembly etc Not "fine" furniture, but it is a good paying work and I love to see how efficiently I can move that stuff through the shop. Similarly for other work. Some days I might be cutting up sheets on the saw, others doing finer hand work and others stuck in finishing. I guess since I grew up in this same environment, I enjoy doing the variety.

As long as I can continue to keep things going, that is what I will do. My father started the company in the early 70's and I took over in 97' at age 26. Im going to be 45 years old this year, but I am always learning new things almost every day I go to work. I think by retirement age I will probably know enough to consider myself "good" at the trade, lol. SOme days I wonder!!

In regards to the deleted posts - I would like to repost what I had written, since it does have relevance to my business and work...

----------------------------------------
    In regards to the kitchen, the crown molding was supposed to sit as it does on the off white section. On the dark section the customer did not want the trim to go past the bulkhead. When I made the units, I made them the same side as the old kitchen - but my crown (what the customer chose) protrudes further. I offered to make a new crown with the similar profile but less protrusion - they suggested just set it back 3/4" and it was fine with them. If its fine with them, its fine with me. Regarding the clearances, all the doors and drawer fronts will have the final adjustment after the granite tops are installed, and the cabinets have had a few weeks to settle, loaded up. There are no issues with the door handles interfering with opening of drawers etc. I do not use a raised panel to "cap" the gables, unless requested to do so. Generally the exposed gables are finished as part of the cabinet, ie in the same stain and lacquered. No real need to "cover" them up with another panel - unless I am requested to do so.

As for the millwork, I did not install the work - I generally make the doors and trim, and supply the finished items to a general contractor does the installation. The customers absolutely love the work done, and that is what counts. The mantle replaced an even smaller one in pine that was there - proportion is like colour - everyone has a different opinion of what they like and the customer liked & wanted this, so, they get it. I rarely try and influence my own likes & dislikes upon my customers. It is not going in my home, so why try and tell them what they think looks good, does not? Unless it is way out of kilter, I just oblige. Personally I think it looks just fine.

The piano hinge is solid stainless steel as not to rust in the bathroom. The lid stay is more than likely chromed steel, a quality Japanese made item, which I like due to the smooth fall of the mechanism.

In our part of the country, the general style is quite plain. I would say this kitchen is one of the "fancier" styles I have done in a while. A lot of work done is very straight lines and not too much elaborate carving. What you tend not to see here, all the heavy carving and reliefs. At least not in a private residential setting.

Most of my work is based upon cost (as most are) and if someone wants to pay for perfection, I can certainly provide that. However, most jobs are always somewhat of a compromise to give the customer the most bang for their buck - and it is always the smaller details that take time and add a lot more cost to the job. Not making excuses, but if someone wants a $30,000 kitchen but their budget is $18,000 - them some compromises have to be made.

Similarly with millwork, I am usually working to a cost set by the customer or the contractor - and again, I try and give them the best value for what they want to spend.

Bob, in regards to your deleted post - No issues - I think I explained myself. Work here is very much working to a set cost. Sometimes I get a job where the skies the limit and you can spend days on small details etc. But I think most of the cabinet and furniture guys understand compromises are always made in 99% of the work. Like I said, you need to be realistic from a business stand point. I honestly try and give my customers a quality product, that looks good, is functional and is a good value for $$ spent. Being in business for 45 years now, with myself at the helm for close to the past 20 - and with many very satisfied customers - I think were doing something right? I think!

Criticism is fine. I can take it. The only ones I need to please are the people writing the cheques to pay for the work, lol. That doesn't mean I am not always trying to do better work.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Very nice work!!
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC