Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard move issues

Default Keyboard move issues

Anyone ever had any issues with keyboard moving of position. I installed a new control pc and am having problems with control software freezing and throwing 'invalid procedure call...' errors. To replicate, I can just bring up control software, and open keypad. Hit arrow keys one direction and then switch to another direction. If I keep hitting the keys or hold down the keys it will flake out.

Initially I thought it would be an issue with wireless usb keyboard but have ruled that out. I can hook up a wired ps2 or usb keyboard and problems persist. The kicker...I can remote desktop into my control pc and the problem does not show up. What gives?

Running Win7 with ShopBot 3.8.26 (PRS A)

Any help would be appreciated.
    wayne

Did you remember to update firmware when you installed SB software?

yes, I updated the firmware right away.

A bit more info.
    It appears the issue is caused by changing direction. If going one direction, if I pause for a sec or two and then switch directions all is fine. If however I am holding down the up arrow key and immediately hit the down arrow key, the control software just locks up. Sometimes it will spew out a 'invalid procedure call..."

Everything else seems fine. I can move/jog at top speed and diag shows good comm connection.

I've noticed that in the past as well. Can't change direction before the data stream has finished, it appears.
    Ron Sloan

Does it happen if you downgrade the software to say 3.6.46? It might be worth a try.

Keep in mind that some computer USB hardware just sucks for running a robotic tool. The first place I would look is the computer & get a PCI to USB (2.0 not 3.0) and put either the Bot or KB/Mouse on that card by itself. I've seen cases where the KB & Mouse interferes - Mostly on Dell machines. I'm sure Amazon etc has a decent card (read the reviews first) for less than $20 or $30.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Tried to downgrade to 3.6.46 but could not get the software to find the bot. Something probably went awry with usb drivers between versions. Back running on 3.8.x.

I was going to get a PCI USB interface but thought I would see how things run on the standard ports. I may see if HQ has some answers on this. It seems that I have other issues as well. Hitting big red cause the control software to shutdown.

Just wanted to post an update here. I believe I have the problem corrected. I changed the keyboard settings in control panel. Changed both the Repeat delay and Repeat rate to a much lower setting and it appears not to jam up any more. Hopefully this will help someone else with this frustration.

I have the same issue, if I fat finger a key or try to change to another axis too fast is goes out on me. I will try changing the keyboard settings and also try to slow down my response to changing direction. Thanks for posting your issue, it helped me too.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

If you are having a reproducible issue with the software - please report it to SB Support so that it can be fixed. If nobody mentions it, then everyone thinks it's trouble-free.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com