Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Guy trying to cut Cabinet Doors

Default Sign Guy trying to cut Cabinet Doors

One of my Sign customers walked in today and asked me if I could cut out 8 Cabinet doors out of material he will supply, in one piece with the profiles close to the attached pics.

I have a cutter with something close to the pic of the outside edge.
    The inside profiles look like router bits #37743 from rockler.com
    http://www.rockler.com/freud-97-150-3-piece-door-set

Can these bits be purchased in something I can ramp into the material without the bearing?

Should I just consider setting up a 3D toolpath for the inside detail?

Does anyone already have this 3D profile setup in Aspire for a price? I am new to Aspire and still haven't spent enough time on tutorials yet. I told the customer I could do it and to bring the material.....LOL

Any advise would be appreciated.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before you hurt yourself that is a 5 piece door .There meant for a shaper or rotter table

There is free doors using mdf sheets take a look

My 2 cents stay away it a whole new trade huge learning curve

Thanks Kevin,
    I know I am crossing boundaries here and don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I got a Bot and open machine time....

I think I am getting there. In the attached pic is just using endmills, 60 degree v bit, and ballnose bit using profile and pocket toolpaths. Just need to carve the interior down some to look like the sample.

Am I going about it all wrong? It doesn't have to match anything. This is a small cabinet reface job he got and wants me to start doing his CNC cutting going forward. I can catch on fast if he can supply me with enough sheet goods.

Dave

David
    Look at free door post .I used it looks the most realistic for cnc you can do it in Aspire but it gets tricky nesting

I tried there web doesn't seem to be up I think I can find you a copy there is a learning curve

There are bit's made for routing MDF doors.
    http://www.amanatool.com/products/cn...uter-bits.html

To achieve a similar look to your picture requires multiple bits, and several passes, or a lot of time doing a 3D carving pass.

I used the bits shown above.
    I would just have him look at door web sites to have them make them, unless you plan to do a lot of them because the bits will cost more then the doors you make.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Well if you dont have to try and match anything you are going to be a lot happier... lol.. Trying to match a 5 piece cope & stick door will be very time consuming, require many bits and tool changes. Or be painfully slow with a small ball end mill.

For easy faux frame and panel doors from MDF, I have used a few V bits (90 and 120 degree) with the inner profile being made by the shallower 120 dgeree (to represent a raised panel) and the 90 chamfering the outer frame, and use Aspires square corner tool to make the edges crisp VS rounded (which give instantly away the door is machined from MDF). Then a regular end mill to pocket out the inner part.

You can certainly buy plunging profile bits, Ogee, bead and step, etc to give the panel some other profile VS a chamfer but they are not as easy to clean up the inside corners. Unless of course the client doesnt mind just running around the face to profile, and leaving rounded corners. Lots of those doors out there... its just that most think a square corner looks better. And with Aspire, and any angle of V bit, it is easily done.

Andrew

David:
    A CNC is not the right tool to do that job. Take it from the cabinet guys who have been doing this stuff for years.
    After all, just cause I have a really nice little printer is no reason why I should try to make a vinyl wrap for a car, right?
    Bottom line-a shaper, molder, and the right cutters (as well as the knowledge on how to use them) knocks that out in minutes and that's why the companies who do that for a living charge all of 12 bucks a square foot in hard select maple ready for finishing in those exact (and very standard) profiles.
    E-mail me privately and I will give you several wholesale manufacturers within 150 miles of you that make these things all day long.
    On another note, remember that sometimes the customers don't know the right question to ask and your life is much easier if you know how to explain that to them.
    Best answer for your client: "Let me recommend a good cabinet guy in the area"
    (You did say "any advise")

Yep, agree 100%. Ive been making my own doors for 30 yrs. A good power fed shaper, with a coping sled or sliding table, and some good cutters (all I buy now are carbide index insert style - better than brazed IMO).

I have probably $5 to $6K just in my door tooling and that's not a lot - half a dozen rail and panel profiles. But as Dave says I can machine a door in literally minutes once set up. And when you know what you're doing, set up takes a few minutes tops.

But to do this style of door you also need jointer/planer/edge and wide belt sander to make $$ at it.

I make a fair number of doors... but the only ones I do on my CNC are slab type with carved details or the odd MDF paint grade.