Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Guy trying to cut Cabinet Doors

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    David:
    A CNC is not the right tool to do that job. Take it from the cabinet guys who have been doing this stuff for years.
    After all, just cause I have a really nice little printer is no reason why I should try to make a vinyl wrap for a car, right?
    Bottom line-a shaper, molder, and the right cutters (as well as the knowledge on how to use them) knocks that out in minutes and that's why the companies who do that for a living charge all of 12 bucks a square foot in hard select maple ready for finishing in those exact (and very standard) profiles.
    E-mail me privately and I will give you several wholesale manufacturers within 150 miles of you that make these things all day long.
    On another note, remember that sometimes the customers don't know the right question to ask and your life is much easier if you know how to explain that to them.
    Best answer for your client: "Let me recommend a good cabinet guy in the area"
    (You did say "any advise")

Thanks Dave...LOL you are right, just because I maybe can do it doesn't mean I belong doing it. But sometimes I am stubborn as a mule and just have to try it. I was hoping for advise from the cabinet guys, and I knew it might not be what I wanted to hear.

Andrew, that's a good idea with the v-bits. I will have to try doing some tool paths using that technique.

This customer is a granite countertop guy. (small shop) he does a little bit of cabinet stuff here and there and buys everything in pieces and assembles. He is talking about having me cut all the cabinet boxes in the future as well. I bought CPP and am still messing with it. He is also interested in some more decorative doors with small 3d reliefs cut into them down the road. I just want to be able to offer a few different designs for him. He will always supply the sheet goods, I cut em, then he assembles and finishes them.

So, it comes down to price now. The attached pics went really well I think. Yes I used cheap plywood for the sample cut to make sure my profiles came out ok, and I did just spray it with hammertone spray paint.......

Did a two rail sweep in Aspire for the middle part and used a profile bit on the outside. Total cut time was 2hrs.....OUCH. That is with a .125 ballnose, .25 endmill and profile bit. BUT, I think I can tweak the file feeds and speeds and go with a .25 Ballnose and get it to about 45 minutes per door. I come up with $56.25 per door machine charge based on $75 per hr machine rate.

However, based on the prices per sq/ft Dave R. gave the big shops are knocking them out the job would come out at about $24 per door. Size is 20"x12"

I dunno, we will see. Just called him to pickup sample. He will pickup it up tomorrow. Overall it was fun and I definitely learned something. And if nothing else, I might use this profile to redo my kitchen cabinet faces.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Based on your time so far and add to it the huge amount of sanding to make it look good this is a no-win deal.
    We cut 3d and 2d patterns into 5 part doors also. I still buy out the door. The cnc is doing what it does best!
    Resizing in Aspire for all the different sizes and maintain proper size of stiles, rails, and inner panel profile a kitchen needs is not quick either.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    free doors

The website link isn't working. I tried to check it out.

Dave

be smarter to outsource it to a door company near you...

http://gacustomcabinets.com/

for example
    Vector Studio 22

last rendering before all 8 doors cut. customer approved price and material should arrive friday.

for now, its the best I can do. why not take a job to fill my machine time? Its sitting idle mostly, and now the toolpaths are done, its just another machine running at the same time to me.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

The corners look great .But you probable all ready know this there is always the hidden cost of the machine wear and tear .If you have dead time ask yourself why marketing is more critical in your business then mine
    Is your time more valuable web site development getting a better ranking Facebook its cheap
    Someone who goes to sign guy for cabinet doors is looking for the cheap do you need a customer like that

I think this is a good exercise - even if it is only one of futility. Part of the long learning curve with business is acknowledging when things are going to be profitable and when you are going to be paying the customer to take it away. This is what the cabinet pros are trying to get across. However, to me, parts is parts and knowing what's possible and the most efficient way to do it is worth understanding with things like this.

Back when I got into this stuff, everybody and their brother were buying these machines to cut out cabinet parts. I didn't want to join/compete with the race to the bottom on price...so I went the other way. Very, very few people (less than 1%) were cutting 3D reliefs - or even knew their machine was capable of it...(back when it was $7500 for 3D CAD/CAM)

It's no different than I tell my customers. If somebody already makes it - don't call me! Go buy it! Mine won't be cheaper!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

For what its worth, i bought the doors for my own kitchen. The wholesale supplier near me can sell me a completed 5 piece door cheaper than I can buy the lumber.
    As for mdf doors, I use the Amana bits, Plum Creek mdf, sanding sealer and precat lacquer. The disadvantage with mdf is the weight. Dust will also be an issue without a decent dc.
    Imo, not profitable unless you are doing the whole kitchen. The margins are in the slides, hinges, sinks,etc.

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

What Kevin is trying to say is you can download "free doors". It was written by Bruce Clark and Mike Richards. There is a learning curve but you should be able to work through it in short order. But also said by someone here you will spend more for the bits needed than this job will pay. Hope this is the right link. You might contact Mike Richards. He is a member here and helps when he can.

http://doors-free-doors.software.informer.com/