Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooden Hinges

Quote Originally Posted by larry_high View Post
    Joe I am in chapel hill and know of no suppliers of any ply in Durham
    you may want to try Horizon Foresty Product 919 719-0877 , McEwen/Hood,919 772-7550 or Wurth 919 231-6620 all are in Raleigh
    Good luck
    Larry
    Thanks for that info, I live right outside Raleigh and drive past McEwen/Hood 3 or 4 times a week and never knew they were there, not much signage at that location telling what they are!

Thanks, Larry and G. I found Wurth in my Google search, but I don't know if I want to go in there or not. They probably check your bank balance before entering, lots of high end machinery in there...I have heard of Atlantic veneer and I will go and visit them...thanks for the directions....joe

For those of you looking for gear plans, check out "www.geargenerator.com" You can get free gear SVG files.

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    For those of you looking for gear plans, check out "www.geargenerator.com" You can get free gear SVG files.
    Got to try that sometimes. So far I have used Matthias Wandel's Gear Generator software.

However, both tools produce "ideal" gears like you would cut them on a gear hobbing machine. For a 3-axis CNC-cut gear with an endmill of reasonable diameter (I use 1/8") this must be tweaked.
    I create the gears first with maximum addendum setting, import into CAD, cut out a single tooth and "file" or "fill" in CAD until no radius is smaller than my endmill and no interference happens when turning the gear pair. Obviously, the active surfaces of the involute tooth flank must not be touched.

That works but is quite cumbersome and I wish there was software that calculates a well working tooth outline so that it can be cut directly on CNC. I sent an email to Matthias Wandel a while ago and asked if he might consider that but he is not into CNC and had no interest in that.