Thread: looking to duplicate cut

Default looking to duplicate cut

I have some doors that need an edge I want it to match the drawers and doors are on the floor units which are from a big box store. There is a slight taper inwards as you move back from the drawer face ogee. Is there a common one pass bit for this or is this simply an ogee on a taper? The second overexposed image shows the taper pretty well.

My thanks in advance,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

That is actually a very common edge profile. It is used in overlap doors. Most inexpensive cabinets you find will have this type of profile. You can get router bits that match this. I've got one. I also have a cutter for my shaper to make this profile.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Yup, see it on a lot of door edges here too.

Well, I duplicated this cut with a .25" round-over and a 22.5 degree bevel cutter. It came out very nice. I only have to make about 12 doors so its not too bad at all. If I were really going to ramp up production or if I were a real shop I would get the single bit. Currently I run the bevel and then I run the round-over. Then I have to do a very light sand to smooth over the tiny line where the cuts connect.

This door will have a stained glass panel and is in hickory.

I also wanted to plug the freud quad cutter. The finish is superior even in this hardwood. It was a little on the high side but I think this bit will last. I had outstanding results this time and in the past with the rail/stile/panel cutters. I am also a fan of the whiteside bits. They are cheaper and hold an edge for an extended period.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by khaos; 04-07-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley