Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coat racks

Default Coat racks

I cut this coat rack to go to a show in August, but I Ran across a local yesterday that wanted the coat rack more than me and he forked over the bucks for it. Now i need to do another one. One change i will make is 5 hooks instead of 6. But should i cut the same one or a new design. If any of you have any killer coat racks to display post them on here and let me steal your idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe you should make more than one for the show, if you can sell. If you can't sell, different examples might get more interest. Maybe rethink you price as well. That is a great looking coat rack and should be very popular in your area.

just playing with the design, i will stick with 6 hooks but all the same larger ones. The new one will be cut from an 18 inch wide plank. I do not like to waste wood, so you never know when the new one will turn out 5 inches taller. But again i will play with the design.

Very nice , is that ambrosia maple ?

Looks great!
    For a suggestion, you could try to make wooden shaped hooks or pegs mortised in or screwed from the back that fit better the overall design. IMO, The dissimilar brass hooks with visible screws don't do the backplate justice.

Not real familiar with maple but it is referred to as wormy maple. The next one will be done in cherry or perhaps black walnut. Thanks for the above comments.

I am hung up on bright brass. In making the old one or new one they are designed to go on my wall in case they dont sell. So size and hooks are a consideration.
    Last edited by cowboy1296; 04-04-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Looks nice. Another design to consider is using a live edge board and wooden hooks that stuff is really popular in log homes.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    Not real familiar with maple but it is referred to as wormy maple. The next one will be done in cherry or perhaps black walnut. Thanks for the above comments.
    Ambrosia Maple is just another name for wormy maple , that's what I thought it was seeing the markings towards the bottom . Very inspiring , got me thinking bout making a coat rack myself .

Another suggestion is to make the board/design a little smaller. Use smaller hooks and make it into key rack. Might make use of some some scrap and be able to sell to another customer who loves the design but doesn't have room for the larger coat rack. Great job, BTW.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    not real familiar with maple but it is referred to as wormy maple. The next one will be done in cherry or perhaps black walnut. Thanks for the above comments.

i am hung up on bright brass. In making the old one or new one they are designed to go on my wall in case they don't sell. So size and hooks are a consideration.
    wormy maple is also ambrosia maple... Depends on how you buy it. On how much you pay for it. What causes the streaks is the waste of the ambrosia beetle.. By the way what did you get for that coat rack should have been in the 250.00 to 400.00 range depending if you do wholesale or strictly shows and retail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI