Thread: A woodworking question for the crew.

Default A woodworking question for the crew.

Hi people. I know this is not CNC related, but I know theirs a lot of woodworking knowledge on the board. I have a friend who is restoring an old Ford pickup and he wants me to install and finish the wood bed floor. I'm just wondering what product to put on the white oak to protect it. I guess it's gonna have to be a UV stable finish of some kind. I'm kinda leaning towards Epifanes clear marine spar varnish. What you guys think. Any other suggetions?

Seal it with a few coats of epoxy before the varnish, and the varnish will last longer. That's what they do for wooden boats.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rose View Post
    Hi people. I know this is not CNC related, but I know theirs a lot of woodworking knowledge on the board. I have a friend who is restoring an old Ford pickup and he wants me to install and finish the wood bed floor. I'm just wondering what product to put on the white oak to protect it. I guess it's gonna have to be a UV stable finish of some kind. I'm kinda leaning towards Epifanes clear marine spar varnish. What you guys think. Any other suggetions?
    For a super durable and wearing finish, you could use a finishing marine resin (I use West Systems epoxy) and a 6 or 8ounce fibreglass cloth. Lay the cloth on the face of the boards, and wet it out with epoxy, squeegee the excess off and get the cloth to lay flat. While green do two more coats untill the weave is completely full.

You could just brush some resin on the edges and back to seal.

When the epoxy is dry (leave it for a week to fully cure) sand it smooth and apply one or two coats of a good marine varnish, with a UV block. Epifanes is good, I use another brand I cannot remember the name of, but I have a can left in the shop. Its what I use on my wood canoe and kayak.

You could just varnish the wood directly but the epoxy/cloth will provide superior abrasion resistance and even if you scratch the finish, moisture wont be able to get into the wood to discolour it.

"For a super durable and wearing finish, you could use a finishing marine resin (I use West Systems epoxy) and a 6 or 8ounce fibreglass cloth. Lay the cloth on the face of the boards, and wet it out with epoxy, squeegee the excess off and get the cloth to lay flat. While green do two more coats untill the weave is completely full."
    Andrew,
    Am I correct to assume the fiberglass cloth is engineered to go transparent upon full coating, or will the mesh be visible over the wood grain when complete?

jeff

Actually just found an answer to my own question - this is a very enlightening page regarding epoxy finishing incorporating fiberglass cloth and keys to transparency:

http://www.laughingloon.com/epoxy.html

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    Andrew,
    Am I correct to assume the fiberglass cloth is engineered to go transparent upon full coating, or will the mesh be visible over the wood grain when complete?

jeff
    Yes it will turn transparent. But you need to use the proper epoxy. West System with 207 hardener is supposed to be one of the clearest.

Thanks guys. Off to the Marine store.

HERE IS A TRUCK I DID FOR A DOCTOR. IT WAS A $28,000.00 JOB..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Eugene. that looks spectacular. I am sure you had a lot of fun making that.

Dave