Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My BT48 Vac Table Project

Default My BT48 Vac Table Project

OK this has been a long works in progress project.....got it to a point now to show and tell. The regen pump and plumbing done. Still have to do the plenum and hook-up.

The pump is 2.2 KW (about 2.2Hp) single phase. I don't have 3 phase hence this was the largest pump I could get on single phase. It's hooked up to its own breaker and I'm using a contactor (relay) so a small toggle switch can be used to turn it on and off.

The pump has a silencer attached giving a max 70 db noise level when standing at my usual spot.

The plumbing includes a relief valve with its own filter and a main inline filter that has a lid that can be easily opened and filter replaced.

Being a sceptic with the power of my 2Hp pump being sufficient I have zoned my 4 x 4 table into 4 zones......with 4 valves that can be opened and closed individually. Each zone has its own vent valve as well to release vacuum so as to avoid turning off the pump between reloading the table.

I have tested the system (by closing the 4 zone valves) and the vac gauge shows 5" hg when the relief valve kicks in maintaining this pressure.

Below pics showing so far.....more to follow.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Simops; 04-06-2015 at 04:43 AM.
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

No wonder it is taking you so long..Beautiful Work!!!....joe

Lookin' good. Very nicely executed.

I'm not sure 5Hg" is going to be enough for smaller parts though...but it will be OK for larger things. The tighter you can make that system (leakage) the more you'll get out of it. I don't know the specs of the pump, but you'll want to be sure that it the BOV is adjusted to get as much suction as possible. I tweaked my regen to run @ 9.5 Hg" compared to factory specs of 8 Hg". It runs fine for hours...then again I don't care if I smoke it - I don't have a lot wrapped into it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yea Brady.....I'm sceptical that it will be enough too. I have made it so I can add another pump ...Pump per two zones.
    What's BOV?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Yea Brady.....I'm sceptical that it will be enough too. I have made it so I can add another pump ...Pump per two zones.
    What's BOV?
    BOV = Blow Off Valve...sorry turbo term. Same as pressure relief valve.

2 pumps will give you the same amount of suction (assuming run in parallel) and twice the CFM/airflow. I doubt the pumps are designed to be run in series (one pump sucking through the other) - but you can probably send an email/call the engineering department of the pump manufacturer & ask.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

That is a great looking setup there. And the computer stand too. Very well thought out indeed!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    BOV = Blow Off Valve...sorry turbo term. Same as pressure relief valve.

2 pumps will give you the same amount of suction (assuming run in parallel) and twice the CFM/airflow. I doubt the pumps are designed to be run in series (one pump sucking through the other) - but you can probably send an email/call the engineering department of the pump manufacturer & ask.
    -B
    Yep OK.....I tried to adjust the relief valve (BOV) but if I push it too far the pressure reading fluctuates widly just above 5" and warbling sound heard so I back off.

Yep in parallel ......I've plumbed it so that I can add another pump in parallel so that one pump supplies two valves....two zones only independently of the other pump with its two zones. In this way each pump will do max 4 x 2' area. Before I spend another $1!k doing that (the Aussie $ has sunk badly) I'm going to try the one pump first.

The next big effort is working out the most efficient plenum chamber and the zones. I have already made the aluminium hollow rectangular tubing to go under the table.
    Cheers

If you believe me, I was just thinking about you two days ago and was going to PM you about your table... but the weekend here has been crazy with Easter, and my son's 4th B day.

Glad to see you are back at it. My plenum works well, with the 1/2" grooves and 1/2" lands. I dont think youd be able to cut that close in MDF though as I think the 1/2" square pcs left would snap while machining unless you went super slow. I guess the more channel and less "left" the better.

I'm glad I bought the pump, etc last summer, our dollar also took a dive VS the US buck. Big time.

I'd still like to know how the "vacuum booster" I am using compares to a simple relief valve. The guys I dealt with said that the vac booster is designed to dead head your pump and get the max suction, VS the simpler (and cheaper relief). Also it doesnt whistle.

Yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    If you believe me, I was just thinking about you two days ago and was going to PM you about your table... but the weekend here has been crazy with Easter, and my son's 4th B day.

Glad to see you are back at it. My plenum works well, with the 1/2" grooves and 1/2" lands. I dont think youd be able to cut that close in MDF though as I think the 1/2" square pcs left would snap while machining unless you went super slow. I guess the more channel and less "left" the better.

I'm glad I bought the pump, etc last summer, our dollar also took a dive VS the US buck. Big time.

I'd still like to know how the "vacuum booster" I am using compares to a simple relief valve. The guys I dealt with said that the vac booster is designed to dead head your pump and get the max suction, VS the simpler (and cheaper relief). Also it doesnt whistle.
    Yea Andrew...the plenum chamber will need some thought. Iv left that for last to gather up more info and to consider the design further.....no hurry....waited this long can wait a bit longer to get it as right as I can.
    I remember you mentioning the vac booster some time ago but could not source one (probably due to lack of knowledge, more so than anything and mentioning it here just got me blank stares) so gave up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by David Iannone View Post
    That is a great looking setup there. And the computer stand too. Very well thought out indeed!

Dave
    David, yes I have the computer station on that side of the Bot because of the position its in. Hence I have the X and Y axii reversed from the factory default location with the 0,0 position at the corner next to the computer.

Cheers. image.jpg