Thread: Easy work easy money.

Default Easy work easy money.

Here is one of the projects that I do for select customers.. Takes practice. The hardest part of it is the alignment..
    Trace some gun stocks Cut out the pattern and practice lining up the stock and carving a scene. Things like this can be done with the desk top or any cnc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

There's a little more to it than placement/alignment! You need to have the curvature/sweep (basically a 3D model) of the stock to be able to properly project the model onto the stock. If not, you risk taking off too much material or not taking off enough to completely reveal the relief. Let alone having to make sure it's leveled properly on the table and with it being a flip opp too.

$250 is a bit low for that kind/amount of work. Not really all that easy. Probably easier to do if you're a good hand carver.
    Scott

I have thought about doing this with one of my stocks, but LONG before I did it, I would use a probe and create a rough shape file for the stock and practice on some lower quality wood to get placement, depth and all that done before touching my cherished "furniture" on my guns. And then, I am sure ( because I know me too well) would just create a completely new stock that I custom finish... and keep the original just so that the original firearm is still "original" and I get to enjoy the "custom" stock, too. I know a lot of folks that would modify an original in a heart beat... but I am more of the mind to add an option, rather than mess with the originals.... and if the stock is of low enough quality and value that I wouldn't be concerned about it??? Well, then I wouldn't be all that motivated to diddle with it in the first place, I guess. ( Just MY perspective on it. Definitely not everybody's method of thinking!)

Monty

Oh- and I definitely like a carved stock. My personal daydream in this respect, is an oak leaf and acorn motif. Lightly inset in a pattern around the action and on the fore stock. Possibly more heavily inset in the forestock to act as decoration as well as finger grip area....

You guys have any worry or concern of weakening the gunstock?

I think I would have Brady scan the stock long before I probed it...just saying
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Quote Originally Posted by genek View Post
    Here is one of the projects that I do for select customers.. Takes practice. The hardest part of it is the alignment..
    Trace some gun stocks Cut out the pattern and practice lining up the stock and carving a scene. Things like this can be done with the desk top or any cnc.
    I love this. I think that you can get a good reckoning of the stock and make your design 'roll' out so the exact edge is less important. Great job.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley