Thread: shopbot went nuts

Default shopbot went nuts

I was cutting 1/2" ply and everything worked great. It was zeroed out to the top of material. Then i switched to 3/4" material and didn't 're zero just assumed it would know the difference. It cut the dadoes 1/4" too deep. It said it was cutting at .755 when cutting out body parts on the final pass but actually cut into the bed about 1/4". Then out of nowhere cut into the side of the cabinet. I ran the same file the next day without loading any material on the machine and it ran just fine. This has happened to me twice now. Just wondering if someone had any idea what is going g wrong.

Collin…
    Here’s what I gather from your post…
    You were cutting ½” material Z zeroed at ½” above the bed. Next you put ¾” goods on the bed to cut but didn’t re-zero. The machine still assumed that you were at the material surface hence all cuts were ¼” too deep. If you don’t want to re-zero you’ll have to change your practice to zero to the bed… it stays the same! However, remember, if you have V-carved toolpaths you must zero to the top of the material.
    SG

PS:
    By running into the side of a cabinet part, I’m thinking the machine tried to do a jog move but since the z zero was wrong, the bit was still in the material and lost steps…
    SG

When cutting material zeroed from the top you sure need to re-zero when changing material thickness. Also, once you turn the control box off, whether overnight or during the day for any reason, you should re-zero after turning it on as sometimes the router/spindle will drift down a bit when idle and not under power.

Yeah i have to change that to zero to the bed. I dont understand why it cut through my part though. I always do a final skin pass on the parts to make sure they dont move. It was doing the finish pass then just dove right into the part. Even after it cut the first pass. I ran the same file again without cutting material and it ran just fine. I zeroed it like an inch off the bed. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before. My only other guess would be that the power saver screen almost came on. I since changed that to "never" i set it to an hour before. It only took 10 minutes to run the sheet. Thanks for the replies