Thread: Z axis zeroing and drifting deeper problems

Default Z axis zeroing and drifting deeper problems

I am a new user. I have a 2005ish prt. I am the 2nd owner I am just starting it up. I have udated the firmware to the latest availble for this machine. I input the values for each axis so it moves are the correct scale.

I have 2 problems with my Z axis. I don't know if they are related. First problem is Zeroing Fail. I looked through the forum and I do not see any other posts that match my symptoms.
    - I load and run the zzeroing file.
    - After starting I get a dialog box that says "LIMIT SWITCH HIT". I am not doing this at the edge of the table, and I don't have any inputs for the limit switches activated. Is this normal?
    - I click on RESUME in the limit switch dialog box
    - The z axis lowers until it hits the plate. It stops and a dialog box that says "ZEROING FAILED" comes up. Input #1 makes when the tools hits the zeroing plate.
    - The zeroing rotine will not continue from here. It does not lift up and do the 2nd slow speed touch off.

The second problem I have is that the Z axis goes deeper everytime it lifts and lowers back down. I manually zero the Z axis when it is touching the top of the work piece. The bit is tight in the collet.

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance for your help

Bob

Alpha or standard? If alpha the multiplier numbers may be wrong… this would cause it to work progressively deeper.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ght=multiplier
    SG

It is a PRT Alpha. Thanks for the link. My multipliers were all set to 5. I tried setting them to 1 based on the info in the string in the link you sent. That didn't work.

I was able to fix the zeroing problem. My limit switches were set to normally closed, but they are normally open switches. After I changed the setting for that the zeroing works. When cutting a file the z still keeps plunging deeper every time it lifts and lowers.

Bob…
    My only experience is with an Alpha from the same era… on my machine, the x and y multipliers are 4 while the z is set to 1.
    Since it’s an alpha, I doubt it’s loosing steps. Rethink what you are calling a tight collet.
    SG

Steve,

I think I got it with your last suggestion. I had to put in 4 for everything except the b multiplier which was 1. I ran the shopbot logo with no problems. Thanks so much for your help

Bob

Bob…
    I’m glad we got you up and running!

I am however curious about your axis nomenclature… Normally you have X & Y for your horizontal movement and Z for the vertical movement. A is generally a second Z axis and B is a rotary indexer. Is your Z axis hooked up to the B channel?
    SG

So, I am new to this thing and I don't know what I am doing yet. There were variables in for the A and B multiples so I thought they must matter. Thanks for telling me what they were. I don't believe the z is hooked up like you asked. When I tried running 4, 4, 1 for xyz it didn't run right. 444 worked. Thanks again for the help.

Bob