Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best spindle to buy

Having been a SB on the road tech for 10+ years, I've been to a lot of shops running HSD & Colombo spindles. The Colombos seem to last a lot longer than the HSDs. Probably around 3:1

Thanks Brady
    Thats The kind of info from experience I was Looking for . It helps me justify spending the extra $800 for the Colombo.Of course Ive spent close to the cost of a spindle on PC routers over the years. And several projects messed up cause the router quit in the middle of the project.
    Like you, and being a farmer, I also like things a little over powered. I feel the extra power will make the bits last longer and also I"m looking for improved cuts

Brady,
    That is a simple way to explain it, thanks. I am about a year away from buying a spindle, but you just sold me on the 5hp Columbo.

got to stiffen my gantry before I try to go Colombo.

thanks,
    Dave

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by David Iannone View Post
    Brady,

got to stiffen my gantry before I try to go Colombo.
    In what way dose the gantry need stiffened ? I've got a PRT 96

A PRT will handle any of these spindles fine without modification. The only mod is the spindle adapter plate which is included in the price if you buy the spindle through SB...but this is just to adapt the spindle to the Z axis.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I seem to remember hearing the z springs for the Columbo are stiffer than the ones used for the router on a PRT also, aren't they Brady?
    Stiffening a PRT is a good move in any case. When I upgraded from original control box to 4g type my jog speed went way up but the drive speed cutting wood sheet goods improved much less as the gantry couldn't handle the increased torque from much faster speed without starting to rack and lose steps. If you absolutely know you have your Y gantry good and square welding it, instead of bolts is the quickest way. If you have one of the older frame z cars welding it is good also. When SB introduced the Alpha they soon redesigned the z with an aluminum plate to keep it from racking.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    I seem to remember hearing the z springs for the Columbo are stiffer than the ones used for the router on a PRT also, aren't they Brady?
    Yes, they are. Depending on the model spindle, the springs are different. IIRC 2 skinny ones for PC routers, one skinny one fat for 2 & 3hp and 2 fat for 4 & 5 hp. If you order the kit from SB, it comes will everything you need, including instructions.

Early on, 5hp Colombos would get the optional 7.2:1 Z motors on Standard tools (before there was an Alpha), instead of 3.6:1, and Alpha tools that had AS911s on XY would get a 10:1 for the Z. When they switched to 7.2:1 for XYZ, this went away.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I guess you have to really do your homework we buying a spindle