Thread: That first 3D finish toolpath pass

Default That first 3D finish toolpath pass

Is there a way to slow down the very first pass on a 3D finishing tool path? I am probably a bit aggressive with how much I take off in that first pass as much as I leave on from the roughing toolpath. With typically using a 10-13% stopover for the finishing I always felt getting too carried away on the roughing just used up a lot of time. But that first pass always makes me nervous. I have created separate files with slower speeds and then stopped it after a couple passes. I have also used the keyboard commands to slow down that first pass but it always takes a few seconds. And yep, I have broken a few 1/8" ballnose bits on that first pass, so seeing if there is a better solution out there. Have I missed any and option or work around anywhere?

Hi Marion,

I think whether you can slow down your "first pass on a 3D finishing tool path" will depend upon what software you may be using. I know we can't do that within the Vectric software (or ShopBot versions) when generating toolpaths from the toolpath menus. Perhaps G-code editing could do the trick. However, it's probably just best to try to avoid the need for that to begin with.

I leave only 0.04" allowance of material for my roughing toolpath. I think that's fairly standard procedure. This is a small amount and should help you keep from breaking bits during your finish pass. BTW, I mostly use 3D Raster not Z-Level in the Vectric software when roughing..it removes more material that way, but does take longer. If you hog out as much material as you can during roughing prior to running your finishing pass, you should be a pretty happy camper! (fewer broken bits)