Thread: 4G board any other upgrades needed?

Default 4G board any other upgrades needed?

Hello, I am thinking about taking the plunge and doing the 4G board update on my older PRT. Question is, do I have to replace anything else, such as motors, power supplies, software etc. Or is it just a 1 for 1 swap with improvements. I still use PartWorks and am happy with it and do not have the funds to upgrade to purchase Vcarve Pro or Aspire yet. I just want to make sure the 4G board is 100% compatible with what I already have. Thanks! -Matt

P.s. I am currently running PartWorks in Windows 8 with no issues.

Hi Matt,
    I just upgraded to the 4g board last year. It is AWSOME! the speed and smoothness you will love right out of the box.

It takes about 30 minutes tops to swap out boards. Only thing needed handy is a voltmeter. The instructions tell you to adjust voltage up a little.

I have 2 suggestions.

1. The first is DO NOT change a thing on your control computer except loading new version of SB Control software when the instructions tell you to.

2. Load SB Control 3.6.46. (don't forget to load firmware.) DO NOT load 3.8.26 like the instructions tell you. 3.8.46 has bugs that are yet to be resolved. (at least on the 4g board and older PRTs. This is fact)

The reason I tell you dont change a thing on your control computer is because IF you start to experience comm errors you will know it ain't your control computer.

I never had comm erros pre 4g. Now I get them weekly and it is aggrivating. I have tried 3 computers of my own, and had Gary Campbell try to resolve my problem. He built 2 different computers and neither of the two control computers he built could resolve my problem either.

I am not trying to come off negative about the upgrade in any way. Gary Campbell knows SB as well as anyone (imo). So I am left still suffering comm erros. My next step is to package up my control box and control CPU and send it back to shopbot for them to make it work, cause i'm out of resourecs.

Good luck, and please update this thread once you are finished, and also let me know after a few weeks if you are suffering from the same thing I am. Who knows? Maybe I got a bad board from the factory? Maybe I am the only one right after going 4g that has had a nightmare on my hands.

This is my opinion only and my experience so far with the upgrade.

Oh, I almost forgot. Brady Watson told me I should upgrade my Motor mounts to the newer style cause the old ones were not designed for the new speeds. (why would SB not ask us this upon upgrade)?
    I still haven't contacted SB yet about the mounts. I just haven't been running machine at full speed. Also maybe think about new pinions if you haven't already. I will be asking about new mounts this week when I talk to them about my issues.

Dave

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I hope some others would pipe in also and let us know their insights. I guess there isn't to many of us with the older machines around any more? I searched and searched the forums and haven't found much info. Hopefully someone else will comment. Thanks again Dave.

I did the 4G upgrade to my PRT a few years back and the difference in speed and performance is well worth the price of admission! Even the cut quality was signicantly better. Now if I just had a hi speed spindle!

Gerald

I also have an older PRT 4896 and got the 4G upgrade. Speed increase and additional smoothness is well worth it.
    I did have weird computer/Shopbot software issues while using Win Vista, (which was probably more due to the factory installed software from H.P.) and I did a complete new install of Win 7 Pro. That has eliminated the previous problems. The problems which remain, I can live with but they are annoying.

The new board creates radio interference on my FM receiver, so I can't listen to music while the Shopbot controller is on. Also, the new board seems more sensitive to voltage/power fluctuations and will cause missed steps if my air compressor turns on while the Shopbot is cutting.

Dave - is it possible your problem is from this voltage sensitivity problem?

Hi Mayo,
    Thank you for the advice. You may be onto something there. It could be possible I guess. My power for dust collection, compressor are on a separate breaker. My Control CPU and Control box are on a dedicated breaker. My PC Router is also on its own breaker. Do you think if I bought a heavy duty battery backup to plug control computer and control box into it that should take away the question of voltage fluctuations?

The radio being interfered with is interesting. I wear a pair of Bluetooth headphones while running the bot that is synced to my cell phone streaming music. Do you think the Bluetooth technology could interfere with the 4g board?

Machine is grounded properly and all wiring very neat. I have just been living with the hiccups as I just gave up on it for a while. But I would still like to try a new idea and the battery might just be what I need to try?

Thanks,
    Dave