Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dovetails

Default Dovetails

Hi guys.
    Some of you may know me from CNC Zone, or the Vectric forums.

For over a year now, I've been working on a sort of conversational CAM program to generate g-code for woodworking joints. I started with dovetails, as I've seen countless requests over the years for an easy method to do them on a CNC router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MnVHmr2UY

What I've come up with allows you to create an unlimited variety of both half blind and full through dovetails. Manual jigs typically will limit the depth of cut, as it's dependent on the spacing of the joints. With software, you can use any depth you want, and the spacing will be adjusted to match the depth. You can also do variable spacing, at any depth you like. (Up to the length of the dovetail bit.

A jig or fixture to hold your stock vertically IS REQUIRED.
    The software outputs both Mach3 compatible g-code as well as native .sbp files, but I haven't tested the Shopbot code, as I don't have a Shopbot, and have been busy writing code.

I plan on releasing it with dovetails only in the next few months, and plan on adding several styles of box joints, as well as mortise and tenons over the winter.

Just looking to find out if there's any interest in the Shopbot community.

Mods, please move or delete if this doesn't belong here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gerry, I haven't gotten into dovetails beyond reading because we have Desktops with 4" of Z and haven't needed them yet. Have seen that Buddy's have an issue because of moving Y axis(May have been work arounds).
    I did remember this thread about Gary's method but haven't checked it out. Also including G's Tailmaker home just for kicks and giggles.
    I'm sure others will chime in.
    Take a a look at the fingerbox thread too. It's neat.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...flat+dovetails

http://tailmaker.net/
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks. I'm well aware of G's work, and just about every other dovetail option that's out there. What he's done is outstanding.

But, imo, there's nothing like my software available anywhere. You can program just about any joint in a minute or two, and you can cut complete half blind joints in about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post

Just looking to find out if there's any interest in the Shopbot community.
    Definitely, video was very interesting, look forward to seeing and trying this out.

I'm interested I see as a cabinet shop is just as fast with a cnc then a dedicated dovetail machine plus it free money for other things

But there is no program that I know of ?

Gerry,
    Looks like you are definitely on the right track. You will need to make the interface as easy to navigate as possible for some (like me) who see some of these programs and when it gets complicated our eyes glaze over.
    good work so far, and i would be interested when complete.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

It will have a very thorough manual, and I'll also have several tutorial videos.

Unfortunately, for every option you give the user, complexity goes up another level.

Fortunately, imo, it's really quite simple.
    You just specify the size of your boards, height of the dovetails, and width of the pins and tails. There are a few other options, but the preview should make them somewhat self explanatory. That's it. For your typical half blind dovetail, enter the stock size, and tool information, and you're ready to start cutting.

I do realize that dovetails can be rather complicated, and some people will really struggle with it. Hopefully my documentation will be good enough to overcome any difficulties.

I'd be interested in taking a look.
    Scott

Have you done any timing studies?
    How long would it take to make one drawer?

I've been using Gary's routine, that I modified a little, for a long time and once the parts are all cut it takes less then 2 minutes to dovetail and assemble a drawer.

I'm always looking for a faster way.

My homebuilt machine isn't rigid enough to cut in one pass, so I always use roughing passes on my test cuts, which adds a lot of time.

Regular half blind "production" type dovetails would be the fastest. Actual cutting time would probably be similar to Gary's routine. The toolpaths from my software for this type of dovetail are very similar to what I see in Gary's video on YouTube. Since you're cutting both the pins and tails in one pass, there's really nothing you can do to speed up the cut time.

Increasing tail width, or variable spacing would require multiple passes, and would take more time.

The real benefit I'm offering is the ability to very quickly program many different types of joints. Different board thickness, different tools, different cut depths, custom spacing,.....
    For regular half blind dovetails, just enter the tool info, and the board width and thickness, and you're ready to go. Most other types can be programmed in as little as 1-3 minutes.