Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Buttons :)

Thanks David and Kyle
    Yep, HAD shut down, but going to a button show tomorrow with Dad and looking to buy or get loan of a Rare collectors item button with a "Coastal" theme.
    http://www.mainelybuttons.com/
    Brady VERY kindly offered 1 free scan (probably because I yatter so much, and REALLY want to make it something special!
    Hope to find something "Special" that we can make our own signature item and will justify Brady's time.
    Wish we had a woman along to get her opinion of what is "Soul Catching" as not a lot of guys buy buttons
    NEED to watch all the VCP8 tutorials again, as it was REALLY hit or miss today doing so much brand new stuff.
    (ALMOST carved a loon into my backer board!!!!) .4" pass with a .125" bit!!!!!!!!!!
    Gotta admit, being able to change 3D toolpaths IN VCP8 is a game changer.
    Anywho, Got up and restarted Desktop with a brand new 45degree, linear arrayed 6 "Loons" and dropped stepover down to 3% and letting it cut while I eat "Breakfast" so I have some swag to take to the show tomorrow to help convince a collector we could do his "Baby" proud.
    Just wish the heck it was Bloodwood or better I had plugged in!
    To Lazy to prep a new blank, so Black Walnut it is.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,
    Seeing as this thread has continued from last year, you seem to make a lot of buttons and i'm curious to know if you are selling them, how much of a market there is for them and what you charge? I'm not looking to get into the button market but am curious since you seem to be doing a bunch of it. Nice work for sure.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Less than $1K so far Jack, but waiting for Northern Desktop to get finished product to photographer for Etsy photographs.
    Not fair to post my persnickety work as actual items that will be received.
    I ship production files North, but still ironing out finish wrinkles and little things like "Whack the HE** OUT of the blank with your dead -blow to FIRMLY seat it in the carpet tape!!!"(Yesteday) and "Use YELLOW depth ring .0620" DOWNCUT EM" for buttonholes(yesterday)!!!!
    Early days
    they just needs to read a space cadets mind and run the file (I already know what I meant
    Also "Finish" and "sanding" on something this small takes a "Touch" that 20 years of Opal gave me naturally.
    They WILL "get it" and will definitely get Faster than me
    They're working hard!!!
    Believe me though, you DON'T want to be a
    "Button Mogul"!! my fingers hurt after a proto run, and VERY glad I can ship "JUST cut" buttons North for finishing to add to less than 750 inventory.
    Me..... not a penny....and NOTHING to do with the Northern spin-off.
    Looking forward to doing jewelry stuff like Gert though!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Got a chance to get back to it.
    Went with the model 1" tall in the Y-axis, .158" depth for testing 3 brand new bits with 4 different NO roughing toolpaths.
    Top right was 1 pass Against the grain/ bottom right was same setting With the grain.
    Need to shallow up the model and tweak in this bit as it was twice as fast as the bit I was using.
    It was a gift on Sunday from another 'Botter Thanks Josh.
    Haven't looked # up, but it's an Onsrud .25" 30degree engraving(1F spade type?) with a .01" tip. No sanding or finish on these, as they're going on wall as a reference. Ran the same 4 toolpaths with 2 other 30's for reference. Drillman1's .125" 30 with .0125"tip gave same finish but took twice as long.
    Bloodwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

they look very nice

Using the trials, used the Onsrud above to make a batch.
    Bloodwood
    Against the grain, no roughing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Sweet Scott! I still haven't used the micro bits...can't wait to start! BTW first job I got after I sold the big machine was too big for the small machine!!! Thank goodness there's an Alpha 5 miles from my shop!
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5