Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Wall Sign

Default Electric Wall Sign

So here's a cool lil sign I did recently for a same group of bar/restaurant owners that I do work for.

This is a renovation of an old building where we removed the old 16 year old exterior signs and neon to start anew. This time I also used pure 100% aluminum instead of the jet plate galvanized metal for the sign body and letters. Which also meant it was mainly routed out on the CNC and not so much fabrication by hand. It haas it's +'s and -'s. I like hand fabrication.....call me old fashion. But all the holes to line up this time around!

Early fab pic

One thing was for sure, it was a LOT lighter this go around!

Fresh after painting with Matthews. I didn't get as many pics this time around for this job like I usually do, I was just so damn busy juggling so many hats.

The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

Now starting assembly. .090 rear open face channel letter reflector for halo lighting as well as making the the red letters punch from the dark background by giving it some contrast. The smaller FCO's for the Neon background on the smaller cabinet are .063 aluminum. Also pictured are the Porcelain 200 Housings for the 18mm FMS BL6500 CCFL Lamps, or Neon!

and of course this sign is powered by the beastly bullet proof magnetic transformers which are 100% copper and HEAVY suckers! Makes my forearms cry just looking at them!

One thing I wanted to do was mix a little LED with Neon.

Stop it, they do mix well!

From the Sign Syndicate test comparison "Blue Light Special", I chose to use NC LED's constant current blue series to give the open face channel letters a nice lil blue halo lighting.

The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

And of course the NC LEDs are powered by the military grade 90-277v Axiom LED 60 Watt Power Supply

All assembled and ready to load up, Kgirl taking the rear!

Getting this wall sign craned up

My Sexretary and Lead Project Manager checking up on us to see if all is going well as well as cracking the whip over us!

The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

Mixing in some wet location Masters Technologies Boots and sleeving for the open face channel letter FMS 12mm Ruby Red Neon lamps

Porcelain Trasnco To Go TC-200 Housings and brass FMS Neon tube supports

Some derelict we found wandering on the roof, he claimed he knew how to install Neon so we hired him for the day. He was cheap labor, not sure if he was legal help but he was cheap!

Go figure, everything lined up, everything went smoothly, but one damn unit was just an inch too long...Damn Neon benders! Of course, something has to go wrong on an easy day!

The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

The next day. Now I just owe you a day shot!

Final Night Shot

In the end to summarize the job, it went fairly smoothly from fabrication to installation. I really like the FMS Neon Rich Blue which is the equivelant to EGL's Horizon Blue, for all parameter and interior border tubing we went with a big fat 18mm, the interior horzontal white is FMS Neon's BL6500 Tri-Triphosphor white. The open face channel letters are FMS Neon's Ruby Red, which looks similarly to Tecnolux's Ruby Red. "Bar & Grill" is a 12mm version of the tri-phosphor white.

Gotta love the lighting, good ol Red, White, & Blue!

Annual cost of operation of left on 8 hours a day? $221.00

Electric Wall Sign Recipe:

• Transco UNT Tanks magnetic variable secondary transformers, 2 9kv, 2 - 15kv units
    • 14 AWG Silicone GTO
    • Masters Technologies Wet Location Boots & Sleeving
    • Porcelain TC-200 housings
    • FMS Neon 12mm Ruby Red
    • FMS Neon 18mm Rich Blue
    • FMS Neon 18mm, 12mm BL6500 Tri-Phosphor White
    • NC LED's Constant Current .48 watt blue LED Modules
    • Axiom LED's Military Grade 60 watt 10.5 to 15v variable LED Power Supply
    • Federal Bushings
    • FMS Neon Brass Tube Supports
    The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

Most of the electric stuff is outside my range of knowledge but an impressive post. Bob

I have frequented that establishment and the one downtown more times than I can count. What a small world. I was going down the post and thought how funny it was that the sign looked like it said Bub's. Hilarious, great job! Didn't know there were any other botters out my way.
    PRS Alpha 96" X 48" w/ 12" Z
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8

Thanks guys!

That is funny!

It is a small world, but actually quite a few of us here in San Diego ( I know a couple). Good to know of another in case I need help, haha. If you're at the downtown Bub's I did the Moonshine Flat's, Lucky's Lunch Counter right across the street too (All same ownership/partnership), oh and the interior Downtown Bub's Neon signs too.
    The Sign Syndicate.com
    Electric Sign Community

Nice work.

Thanks for posting That looks great.

Dave