Thread: Wood Workers Kreg Foreman what do you think?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default Wood Workers Kreg Foreman what do you think?

I am not a cabinet or furniture guy but I know some of you are what do you think about this machine? http://www.woodpeck.com/kregdb210.html I assemble a lot of 1/2" plastic parts and have never tried something like this before it might save some time for some of the 2nd operation things I do.

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike,
    I have an older version which I purchased as a re-conditioned unit from Kreg, and has been running for years in my full time shop. Next machine that you'll find is a Castle pocket hole machine - while I think the Castle creates a cleaner, more professional pocket, it is thousands of dollars. For the money, this thing is a wonderful performer.

One second cycle time is true for plys and softwoods - expect to slow a bit for the hard stuff, especially maple. I highly recommend it.

Jeff

Kreg makes great stuff, your only questions are how many pocket holes will you punch and how much room do you have. I have opted for smaller stuff from them after these considerations.

I generally cut all components on the CNC router afterwards I move them either to a shop made jig or to my CNC milling machine hold the parts in 2 vices and edge drill with the mill. Some parts that need to be drilled on the end of a long part make them not suitable for vice work I use a shop jig but I join the parts usually through the face of one part into the edge of another. I was just thinking about using this method to join some of the parts and was wondering if this tool is a good one or junk? From the comments it sounds to be a quality tool but I need to think more about my parts to see if this would work well.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike: It is a good machine but I wonder about using that type of joint on your plastic products since the screw only goes into the target less than 3/4".
    We use pocket holes quite a bit when building finished end cabinets that are pre-veneered on the outside.
    For drilling into the end straight on there are dowel drills and it's not even too tough to make one. I'm sure there are plans on line.
    Basically it is a router with a drill head or upcutter mounted sideways and on a foot or air actuated slide with the board held flat on a table.

I tried to PM you but I don't know if it went through. I will be selling my Kreg machine soon. It works perfectly, I just recently bought a very expensive Castle machine from another shop that closed down and I wont need two machines. Mine must be the next step up from what you are looking at because it has more metal components and less plastic than the foreman. I don't know how much just yet but if you have an interest shoot me a PM here or email; John AT altexdc DOT com.

John, sent you an email.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I am not sure why my PM messages don't work but I got your email thanks.
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I have a Kreg pocket hole machine that runs all on air. no problems at all. I also purchased the 2nd face frame table that kerg ever built. great tools