Thread: Runtime error 6 overflow- resolved in Icelandic

Default Runtime error 6 overflow- resolved in Icelandic

I was importing a file to Vectric from Rhino, generating tool paths and running it in the Shopbot control software. I kept getting an error window saying runtime error 6 overflow.

I did lots of searching online and could not seem to find the correct solution. I then clicked on a link in Icelandic and used Google Translate. It says that error can be generated by running in millimeters. Interestingly, this sentence is not in their English version, just the Icelandic one.

I selected the mm-format item in Rhino, copy/pasted it into a new inches-format Rhino document. Then used "Export Selected" and saved it as a DXF in Autocad 2004 lines format. Make sure you have removed duplicate lines.

Next, open Vectric, select "Open file" and choose your .dxf file and set up your material. Make sure you are in inches! Select all your lines and use the "Join" function to get your parts back together. Do the toolpathing and save the file for cutting.

Doing this in mm format generates an error, converting to inches let's it get to work! Hooray for Internetz!

The error doesn't occur until you load the SBP file into SB3? Seems really strange that changing the export process would fix an error like that. Given the steps you've listed I would expect the SBP file in both cases to be identical as the Vectric software outputs the SBP code in the units that the Post Processor is set to not the actual job itself.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Well, it was not the export process, it was the final file format causing issues. After doing some more looking, I realized the SB control software was not set to mm and that probably caused the runtime issues when trying execute the mm formatted file on the inch format machine.

Currently, I am working in millimeters in Rhino3d and mm in Vectric then saving the toolpaths in the SB inches format, which is the same format the SB control software is set up with. Working good now.