Thread: Wood Phone Cases

Default Wood Phone Cases

I know there are companies out there that make wood phone cases but I thought...Hey I have a Shopbot and bet I can make one for my phone. We are getting the New Samsung Galaxy S6 this week and was wondering if anyone has made their own wood phone case? If so can you share some tips and tricks...

I made one for my HTC One SV . It was quite an adventure, I miced out all the openings needed for headphones, charger, etc. and pocketed it out as two halves (front and back) then left just enough "meat" on the edged for some super tiny brass screws to hold the two sides together. It worked perfectly and the button heads on the screws held the back of the phone just high enough from table so that it amplified the music when placed on a glass table top! (and kept the phone dry when my kid spilled his juice across the table. There are wooded phone cases for alot of phones (especially galaxy and iphone) that are two halves (top and bottom) and they slide together with a little tiny metal clip. unless your like me and want to make it because when someone says "is that wood", its much more fun to say "I made it" than "I bought it" its easier just to order one. the HTC had a curved back and i suck at 3d so I cut it square and used small bits of foam to support and stabalize it within the case, If you can get a hold of a 3d model of one your in business....
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

You could also make your own phone. Several have been made on a Desktop in the MIT Media Lab, and I know of at least one that's been made on a Handibot.

http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/cellphone/

I took a slightly different approach. This was the very first project I cut on my SB over a year ago. It is a protective cover with no holes for the buttons. I couldn't figure out how to have a thin case with enough support to stop it from splitting.
    A two piece case made with a thicker bottom and a thin top piece with a logo cut into it. It is a finished inside with felt from Michael's. I wanted to use leather but seeing as it a natural product, it was impossible to get consistent thickness. The phone stays put via friction. The pocket is changed based on the thickness of the phone. This one is for a iPhone 5S, it will not fit other phones not even a 5C without changing the pocket depth.

Regards
    Mark
    IMG_1789.jpg
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing