Thread: king color core fonts

Hybrid View

Creative Solids, Fairfield Glade Tennessee

Default king color core fonts

what fonts and sizes are recommended for making signs from king colorcore? did a test using arial font,0.4 and 0.35 text height. first using 22.5 vee bit and then 0.0313 end mill. result were unsatisfactory - you cannot read the sign from an angle and straight on it is not crisp. would like recommendation on best font to use and smallest lettering size.

I design in Corel and check the strokes by drawing a .25 circle that I color red. Many times I modify the stroke width to allow largest bit possible in small text. But I try to get customer to go to larger sign if possible. I use boldest single stroke font for design for small text. One manufacturer was making multicolor hdpe sheet with thinner top layer which helped with this problem. Once we used resin pour on small text to make it readable but what a pain for that size text. Trying to test different masking techniques to make the resin pour faster. Have not tried petroleum jelly in surface after routing before pouring. May try sandblast mask.

thanks for the reply and thoughts. here are two pictures - test was done on 3 x 4 sample piece. the end mill cut is clean, but it just does not stand out. vee bit cut is better, i think it just has fuzz on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll check and see what's router bit we use also we do have to do a lot of cleanup with a propane torch Then use a laminate trimmer to round over all the sharp Edges on the outside of the sign

Centurion Tools has v-bits made for color core that are supposed to be very clean cutting. I haven't used those as it has been ages since I cut color core but I use other bits of theirs and they work well.

Never tried a Centurion bit for color core but the v-bits I used left the fuss. Running the file a second time helps but still had some cleanup.

That is why Centurion developed their own version. It has a different grind than normal straight edge on other v-bits. It is specifically for color core and therefore has a small diameter, and therefore depth.

The Amana insert bits are perfect for this but you do need to learn how to use them or it can get expensive. Also work fantasically well on alucabond.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I started this thread a while back to get suggestions on best fonts for engraving small signs in colorcore. I have seen that many have looked at the posting, but since no one has offer a suggested font, I thought I would share what I have learned. This has come from examining several hundred fonts and doing multiple tests on colorcore samples. A key factor is the width of the stem – the main vertical or diagonal stroke in a letter. If this stroke is too narrow, then the engraving is difficult to see, particularly when looking at a sign from an angle. So the objective becomes to make this stroke as wide as possible. Typically this is done by using a single stroke font and using a larger diameter router bit. The problem with this solution is kerning – or the space between the letters. Either the space becomes so small that pieces break off when engraving or the letters over-lap each other. A way to solve this is to adjust the kerning between each letter – a job which requires copious amounts of time and beer. A better way is to use a font and router bit combination that maintains the space between letters while giving the correct width to the stem. In the first picture are two ColorCore samples. The black had actual engravings from colorcore, which were very helpful. The red did not have engravings. The top KING I engraved using Futura Font and a 0.0625 end mill – it is very similar to the sample and very easy to read and see from any angle. The ‘end mill’ on the red was single stoke font with a 0.0313 end mill – impossible to read from any angle. The ‘vee bit’ was arial font with a 22.5 vee bit – which shows too much red on the edges and is not pronounced and cannot be read from an angle.

The green picture is from Aspire. The top KING is the futura fount with 0.0625 end mill – very easy to see and read. The second is arial font with 0.0313 end mill – same problem as in the red – cut is just too narrow. The last two are single stroke – first with 0.0313 the second with 0.0625 – notice as the bit gets larger, the space between the letter shrinks. Using the futura font solved both problems: stem width and letter spacing.

Here are the fonts I consider as good candidates for engraving ColorCore. I only tested futura and since it produced great results I did not test the others.

FUTURA MD BT 0.375
    KATHRYN
    KATHRYN EXTENDED
    PHILADELPHIA
    FRANKLIN GOTHIC

I did my test using Onsrud 63-750 1/16 upcut router bit – it worked perfectly. I had a great conversation with Ron Reed of Precise Bits and I plan to purchase router bits and a new collet from them. He has a wealth of information on router bits, cut speeds etc when making signs from products such as colorcore.
    Attached Images Attached Images