Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
What does social media have to do with business? I think a good web site would be a better choice to show off your product or abilities

About 20 years ago a similar quote would be "What does a web site have to do with business? I think a good yellow page ad would be a better choice to show off your product or abilities."

Times change. Right now social media is a huge driver of business. It gives the appearance of word of mouth when person A likes/shares a post/tweet/whatever, and all their friends see it.

About 2 months ago, I friended a sign maker on Facebook, she makes those small motivational signs, really basic stuff, probable way below what most here deal with. She posts pictures of her signs when she sells them, and tags the buyers, which often causes the buyer's Facebook friends to see the post. Quite often she'll get 2 or 3 additional orders of that sign by those posts. This is her sole method of marketing, and she has more business than she can handle at times.

Now this kind of success may not translate to everyone and their products. Joe's skill and market approach of larger site signs (I believe that is what you focus on in your business) may not translate into a product that sells / markets well on Facebook. But it is a good place to post a record of what you've done and can do, and easy way to tell potential clients "check me out on Facebook to see what I can do."