Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally getting this Facebook thing going...

Discovered that the login prompt came up when using Chrome but not IE.
    Beyond my tech knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Kurt,

Excellent FB add. What kind of work have you received?
    I'm interested in local work and don't have the time or interest to deal with long distance customers. I only want my phone to ring with a prospective customer. I get way too many phone calls now. There's only so much time in a day.

I admire your FB exposure.
    All you need to do is specify your coverage area, and that you don't go outside that area. Last sign I needed to order, the shop I'd used for years closed down their retail operation and moved to working out of their garage, and I couldn't find their last email. Pulled up facebook, found them and reordered my sign in about 3 minutes by sending them a message.

But social media isn't passive advertising, you have to participate to succeed. If you don't have the time or desire, it won't benefit you greatly. It's not for everybody, and if you're already busy enough now, then there's no need to add one more thing to your daily to do list.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Hi Joe. Being from Cape May NJ which has an abundance of Victorian homes I get a ton of gingerbread duplication jobs. I'm working my way into the sign thing as well. I've used your work many times as inspiration and am still tweaking my design skills. Your one of many on this board that has brought me from knowing nothing to knowing just enough to be dangerous. Having the dumb luck to live only about 20 mins. from Brady hasn't hurt either. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    Having a social media presence should be a requirement for all businesses.
    Free, excellent way of showcasing work such as widgets, custom cabinet installs, signage etc.. Treat it just as you would a portfolio, but with real reach and the ability to leverage digital word of mouth.

90% of my new customers come in through social media, both my small items I ship, and my on site stuff; signage, millwork, one off jobs etc...

I have a personal, and business facebook page. I don't even bother with the personal side. Facebook is also extremely useful for keeping any eye on the competition.

Great job on the page. Lots of good content.
    What does social media have to do with business? I think a good web site would be a better choice to show off your product or abilities

Jerry,

Thanks for posting. A good website is certainly an excellent method for advertising. For me, the addition of FB is still a question. I'm going to set one up on a trial basis. Don't know how difficult it would be to become transparent if it doesn't work out. From what I understand it's easily updated which should allow for short video's. It would be fun to make a few to show work being done.

linking your website to social media works. where I live most people start searching fb, pintrest and instagram. I've gotten a lot of work from fb page. When someone likes that page all of their friends see that...

https://www.facebook.com/VectorStudio22
    https://www.pinterest.com/vectorstudio22/
    https://www.instagram.com/vectorstudio22/
    http://vectorstudio22.info/es/
    Vector Studio 22

I don't use face book as there is to much drama and fighting among the users

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    What does social media have to do with business? I think a good web site would be a better choice to show off your product or abilities
    Thats kind of like saying "what does advertising have to do with business". It is the foundation portion of many marketing strategist.
    A website requires search engine optimization to even blip on generalized google searches. You're also competing with all the other listings in the search results with no really way to make your listing stand out. The preferred method is to use your social media to gain new potential customers and drive them to your website to close.

With social media, your clients are your advertisement. Every time they "like" a photo of yours, make a comment, share etc.. They are exposing their friends to your content. Coming from a trusted source (their friend) these folks are much more likely to investigate what you do. Digital word of mouth.

Besides the "organic" sharing and growth I laid out above, there is also paid advertisement options which are much much more cost effective than anything in print. Advertising with social media allows you to target your customer base down to city, age, gender, likes and dislikes, marital status etc.. The kind of information which would have cost million a decade ago.

I suggest doing some reading about it, it is an immensely powerful tool which should not be brushed off. There is a reason facebook makes tens of billions of dollars on ad revenue alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    I don't use face book as there is to much drama and fighting among the users
    That is a problem with the group of people, not the platform. I have zero issues with fighting or drama.

Give it a try, setup a business page for free. Load up some images of your work and some information,

Sk8MFG

Thank you for your advice.

Please give us a link to your web address or tell us how you use the CNC. What kind of product do you make?

Joe Crumley