Thread: Sawdust + Compressed Air + Powered Control Box =

Default Sawdust + Compressed Air + Powered Control Box =

So I may have fried my control box....

I'm certain some part of it is done, since I witnessed quite a sparky lightshow coming from the back of the box. I suspect it is the driver power supply that blew, but I'm not sure how to go about testing the various components. Any suggestions?

I'm working with an old PRT and original control box.

2015-05-12 19.44.14.jpg 2015-05-12 19.21.56.jpg 2015-05-12 19.11.27.jpg 2015-05-12 19.44.19.jpg

Yes. That would be the Power supply area. They are not terribly expensive. You need to look on it to see what voltage it is designed for. You also will want to check that little blue and purple box. It is a transformer- probably for your board. ( maybe a 5V? or 24v?) use a multimeter and check them for output....

First thing is first...blow out that control box. Dust is a real killer on both of those power supplies. WAIT a full 10 minutes before powering it up again or you will have a dust bomb on your hands - which is probably what happened in the first place. This is more for the lurkers...since you already let the magic smoke out of something

After everything is clear to power up, remove the 2-conductor red/black wago terminal from the board. This is going to the MeanWell SP320. Check voltage on it with a meter. It should be in the neighborhood of 44 to 48 volts DC. Then check the ATX power supply for 5 & 12v DC at either a free red/black/yellow plug or at 12v+ and 5v+ and Gnd on the board itself.

The MeanWell can be had at a number of places, but Mouser has it for $67.74 part number SP-320-48 - Make 100% SURE that it has the -48 designation. This is the voltage. When you get it, adjust it for 48v. However...if it doesn't power up, pull it apart and make sure there isn't a fuse in it that is blown...preferably with 120v disconnected

If the ATX supply is bad, you'll need another one at least 240 watts. You have to look carefully at the original wiring on the large ATX MoBo connector since two of the wires need to be spliced to let it work. Otherwise it won't turn on if you just chuck the new one in there.

Hope that helps...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the responses, I will bring my multimeter to the shop tomorrow and start on those suggestions!

Brady,
    Going by something you posted a bit a go, We "Dirtbagged" our control computers and our UPS's last year. (Thanks)
    https://dirtbag.biz/
    Just curious if that could even be used in a situation like this and if it would help?
    Every time I have checked, I've had a VERY small amount of miniscule "Fines" inside, but considering those are both Under the machine and how much I use compressed air- I Love it.
    Like I said, Just wondering.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yes. You can make your own or buy one. McMaster sells the same filter fabric cheap on the roll. It does cut down on at least 95% of the dust while still allowing the control box to breathe.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I think I found the smoke-hole! The ATX PSU bit the dust, or the dust bit it. Either way, I replaced it with a comparable PSU, verified voltages at it and the other PSU, thoroughly blew out every nook & cranny, reassembled, and it works like a dream!

Thanks a bunch for all the advice!

2015-05-15 15.53.43.jpg

I will also look into the filter fabric to prevent similar disasters!

Cool - Glad you're back up.

-B