Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me!

I have owned several shopbots, but have moved on to another machine. I would call the shopbot a High end hobby machine, and a low end industrial machine. Many on here are using their bots to make a living and I don't mean my comment in a negative way at all. I have many friends here.
    Ken

Tim…
    I’ve had occasion to use several other varieties of CNC equipment… some I felt were “nicer” than my ShopBot but cost $200,000+, there are some that cost much more than my PRT Alpha that I wouldn’t give a dime for! I’ve not used the Shark HD but did have some experience with an early shark… likely a poor comparison.
    I’m not aware of any “sales” or “clearance” prices offered by ShopBot… and why would they? They don’t have them sitting around waiting to be sold, it seems like SB manufacturing has always lagged behind sales! That fact is one reason used machines always sell, some people just can’t wait after they make up their mind!
    As far as accessories, I’m told that 90% of indexers are sitting idle… I made a homebrew version, mastered it and now it sits idle also! Vacuum hold down can always be added later, as a hobbyist, you’ll likely make a different project every day, Vacuum may or may not be something you need! Since you already have had a spindle, I think you’d really be unhappy with a router motor. Dust collection is a must as you likely already know!
    What design software are you using now? Vectric Aspire or V-carve pro are tops!
    Something I really appreciate after-the-fact is the easily learned control language! OpenSBP® is a series of 2 letter mnemonic commands. If however, your native tongue is G code, the bot understands you too!
    Enjoy the hunt!
    SG

>> As far as accessories, I’m told that 90% of indexers are sitting idle

I have one of those idle indexers but I wouldn't have changed my order if I did it again today. In order to use an indexer, the controller needs to be configured with an extra axis. If you decide at some point in the future that you do want an indexer, it's a lot more complicated to add it rather than having it in the machine to start with. Of course, it all depends on your budget. For me, just convincing my wife (and business partner) that a SB was something to buy was the biggest thing, we had the budget to buy it. Convincing her later to upgrade it might have been more difficult than doing it all at once. That for me was the clincher. I did balk on the tool changer. Sometimes I regret it, other times I feel it would have been pointless. I am a pretty good tool changer after all.

I would say the most important upgrade I did was the 12" Z. It's not that much up front but the end result is a much beefier machine with a lot more capability. If you can only afford one upgrade, that would be the one I'd go for.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post

As far as accessories, I’m told that 90% of indexers are sitting idle

I'd love to take one of those 90% idle indexers off someones hands
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

>> As far as accessories, I’m told that 90% of indexers are sitting idle

A 90% idle indexer is still being used 10% of the time!
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

As far as options go an indexer allows you the most creativity i think. Here are a few things i've made
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

15 good reasons so far
    THIS FORUM!
    Often get responses to my few problems within an hour. And the suggestions and help on projects are invaluable.
    But the REAL kick is the company!
    I've NEVER gotten a machine during working hours, and twice on stuff that could have waited till morning, got a call back after hours with no real rush until my problem was fixed.
    Before I even Had my first machine, Sales (Dianne) couldn't answer a technical question, so I waited 30 seconds, and then talked for 30 minutes with someone who knew the answer (it was 10 minutes before I realized it was the president Ted Hall!)
    Without even ASKING they Modded a MakerCrate for my wheelchair AND didn't charge for it!!! (Thanks TJ and Bill)
    ALSO fabbed a spindle interlock(Thanks Gordon) for my Desktop, and then didn't charge a cent for it as they thought it was a good feature for classrooms and it became a standard feature.
    Bought the first one sight unseen and Loved it so much we bought a second 4 months later! NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER (except I wish I'd had someone Demo for me so I could have hit the ground running).
    I'm proud to call a couple of Shopbotters "Friends" and even somebody From Shopbot
    The company is just Amazing! (Dad says in 60 yrs of dealing with big business...He's NEVER been so impressed
    I doubt VERY much you'd regret it regardless of which machine you get.
    my 2 cents.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

My PRT 96 is about 15 years old now. I upgraded the controller to a 4G, replaced the pinions twice (needs it again soon), replaced the Z constant tension spring twice, the wire arch twice, one of the 4G controllers went bad after 3 years (replaced for cost of shipping to/from the manufacturer), and I wore out about 5 PC 7518 router motors. Total down time in 15 years about 5 - 10 days (I had a spare 4G controller). Total cost of maintenance, repairs, and upgrades in 15 years is about $4k (I spent more on router bits) but I also made north of $300K on the machine in the same time-frame. It doesn't owe me anything and is still worth half of what I paid for it.

Do you need another reason to buy a ShopBot? :P

I have a PRS standard and the company I work for has 2 Biesses one flat table and one pod and rail. I do some cuts that are to difficult for them to do as one offs. There is a real nice unit for sale in the wanted/for sale thread. If it was closer I would be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    ...... Here are a few things i've made
    Very nice! But you can not do that with an indexer. You definitely need an INDEXER! ;-)