Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange new problem

Default Strange new problem

This machine has always run like a champ. Today it started doing THIS. I am pretty sure the problem is computer related so I loaded up the newest software and it made no difference. This computer has never been on the web so I know its not that. Got any ideas???https://youtu.be/zWMBMwaGpvY

That's a nasty sound Tom. Maybe communication between computer and control box? or Control box and machine? Could be a bad connection when it gets to the end of the table there.... check wire connections for breaks or something... seems to be at the end of the table...

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...30-Convince-me!

this thread interesting...

along with many other threads of comms issues with software, compu types

I bought used pr machine and suffered similar type comms problems...learned to fix these from this and other forums...

moved on to another machine with pci card, ncstudio control...never a comms or machine issue as shown in your video

seems a inherent stand alone problem with the bots...

many others with bot machines have gone another route and have discovered that the comms issues do not exist

if and when SB figures out their SW problem I may look into buying another...
    Vector Studio 22

Camaster seem to have these problems too.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Drop the Y carriage motor free of the rack and check for any binding along that axis, particularly at that location. If you find that it's binding, you may need to make some adjustments to the lower rollers on the carriage.
    Scott

The machine does it in X, Y and Z axes. If you look at the video the first time it does it is in the Y axis. It reaches the end of the cut and when it tries to start the X motor it happens again. The first time I had problems it showed up when the Z motor would try to start to make tabs.

Shopbot suggested RAMP VALUES, and I am going to try that this morning.

Works both ways though. My old Mach3 machine had constant problems with comms type errors but my 'Bot is faultless. So from my perspective it's the other machines that have the problems.

The software is far from perfect (haven't seen any CNC control software which is) but I don't think all the comm errors etc can be blamed on it or surely everyone would get them?
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

It sounds like a motor losing steps as it tries to move but is being restrained (Losing steps like if you hit a stop but keeps wanting to move). If it were only on the x I would suspect one of the x drivers.
    You are clearly not moving very fast here. From the first move in Y when it stops and grinds and then continues-did it lose steps? I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue. Anything from degraded wire connection somewhere to something failing on the card. The thing with it doing it in all 3 axes kind of leaves out machine alignment issues unless before it all started there was a catastrophic collision or something. Have you disconnected motors and "free-wheeled" and checked for square in case you have an out of alignment issue that may have crept up on you? With all on have you pushed the axes checking for pinion tightness, etc?
    You didn't make any changes just before it started did you?
    I don't recall whether you have a Alpha or Standard.

Shopbot tech support sent an E Mail with some suggestions. One of them was to re-set the ramp values I have not the foggiest idea of what ramp values are. I do know that if you eat ramps you get really bad breath. Anyway I dd reset them, which involved selecting one radio button and the enter key, and viola - the machine lives!
    It ran all afternoon, making many chips, with nary a twitch!!

Great - Glad you got it sorted out.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com