Thread: Sorting things out…

Default Sorting things out…

Hi all,

First, this is my first post. So if things that I'm saying don't quite make sense that's probably why!

We have a ShopBot Buddy here at Boise State that was under the purview of someone else and I'm trying to figure some stuff out about it now that it's homeless. Prior to the transfer, and quite recently, it got a new Control Card. We have version 212 according to the printing on the card and checked according to this.

So when I first open up the ShopBot software I get this message:
    ShopBot Software Popup.jpg

So of course I went to check my firmware version and it would appear that I have firmware version 218 as per this dialogue box:
    Shopbot Software Version.jpg

I can't find anything that will tell me what the currently released firmware is; does anyone know what version is out?

All I could find according to the ShopBot page is that the latest version of the software is 3.8.30. Will updating the software automatically update the Control Box Firmware as well?

Also, I've read on a few posts here on the forums that some people aren't happy with the new software; should I hold off? We currently have a Dell running Windows 7 as the computer; it has the following specs should they be of help:
    Windows Specs.jpg

The reason I ask about the specs of the computer is that the computer seems to 'hang' pretty often when I'm running the ShopBot software. For example, when I use the zero plate to find Z about half the time it just does the spinning wheel thing and I eventually have to use Task Manager to force quit. This also happens when I'm trying to move it home. That of course could all be from the first issues though.

Thanks so much for any direction you can provide!

—Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

To update your firmware simply click on [U]tilities and then [I]nstall Control Box Firmware. This needs to be done anytime you install a newer version of the shopbot software.

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    To update your firmware simply click on [U]tilities and then [I]nstall Control Box Firmware. This needs to be done anytime you install a newer version of the shopbot software.
    Thanks for the reply, Donek! Is there a way to do that if the computer isn't connected to the Internet? Like somewhere on Shopbot's site to download the files? I looked but couldn't seem to find the firmware, only the control software...

Firmware is included - Just open SB3 and run the UI command. Follow the instructions.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

You are kind of overthinking it. Run the Shopbot update and it will prompt you right through updating the firmware. You can load older versions of the software from the Shopbot site, and each one will have the firmware update.
    I use a cheapy laptop that is NEVER allowed on the web, and has only my shopbot software and Aspire on it. NOTHING ELSE! I bought it for about four hundred bucks from Sams and it has saved me hours and hours of screwing around. I do my designing on a desktop, put the Aspire files I need on a thumb drive and take it to the shop. As I write this I have a tupperware bowl sitting on my desk with a bunch of thumb drives in it to use for the purpose. Just don't forget them and let em go through the wash. They don't like that too much!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I figured out what was going on when I tried to update (I had attempted previously, but with no success) before: because it's a school computer there is another level of access beyond what I have. It would let me update the software, but not the firmware. This has also got to be the reason why that we have to reset the default preferences every time we open up the control software. I read in the user guide that ShopBot doesn't recommend having any permissions set; now to see if that'll convince our IT department…