Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy,VA Camp Shopbot - Sept 6

Default Troy,VA Camp Shopbot - Sept 6

On Saturday, Sept. 6th we'll be holding our second annual Troy, VA Camp Shopbot. This year we are "moving" the Camp across the road from Ed Lang's shop to Jay Wyant's barn ( larger facility).
    Here are Ed's driving directions to Jay's shop;

"Troy is located between Charlottesville and Richmond , Virginia and the shop is just 3 miles from Interstate I-64. There is a new Best Western located at the I-64 exit.

Directions to Jays house and shop are just about as easy as getting to mine!

From Zion Crossroads (intersection of Rt 15 and Rt 250) Go Rt 250 W just like you are going to my shop. DO NOT turn right onto Rt 627, Zion road to my shop but keep on Rt 250 for another 0.2miles. then turn left at the Alder Creek Farm sign. Long gravel driveway. When you come out in a clearing, you will see his house on the left and the shop on the right. His shop (old barn) is about 6 times the size of mine."
    Jay's cell number is; 434-981-4439, and his e-mail address is;
    aldercreek@embarqmail.com
    I'll be posting a list of local hotels in the area in the next day or so, and for more info on this Camp you can contact me at;
    campshopbot@gmail.com

Ed,
    Have you figured out what kind of demo's are to be done? How bout something on indexers? Don't forget the door prizes!!(and the donuts).

Hi John-

At this time, there will not be an indexer at the camp.

Demo's will be based on responses that are emailed in as to what folks would like to see. There will be plenty of information exchange for new or not yet ShopBot owners as well as the seasoned ShopBot owners.

As the time gets closer, more details will be available.

One thing for sure, everyone will go home full of food and information!

Hey Ed,

Where's the closest campground to you and Jay if some of us want to show up in campers?

p.s. Want me to bring Yellow Duck muffins again?

Bill,

There is plenty of room to park here if you like. Maybe we could build a canoe (or start one) while I/we cook Barbeque on Friday night.

Jay

Hey Jay,

Thanks...save me a flat spot!

I don't get much of a chance to build boats these days so building a canoe sounds like fun. One of the guys that I work with, Robert Bridges, is planning on coming to the camp too and he's also a boatbuilder, so we'll have plenty of help.

Bill

Sounds like this Troy, VA camp could turn into a several day camp! The first three days will be building boats and then floating in them.... if they float and Saturday will be the regular camp.

Jay and I are working on getting our files, pucks, pods, spoilboards, jigs, samples and other things together to demo all techniques that will be talked about. Jay has also designed and built an indexer and has it working great. We are not going to hold any kind of indexer class. We are going to run the indexer and show how it works.

There will be light breakfast foods as well as Jay's BBQ, baked beans, cole slaw, drinks etc... for lunch. I expect folks will be interested in Jays wooden smoker/cooker that he build as well.

The brand new Best Western is open at Zion Crossroad now and is only 3 miles from our shops.

If you are going to be here, please email ShopBot, Jay or myself so we will have a head count. Also if you have some item that you would like to see, let us know so we can try and make that happen too.

Jays machine is a 5' X 10' PRT Alpha with the newer PRS motor upgrade. He also has a full table vacuum with several zones and a 4HP HSD spindle with speed control.

Since you could put four of my shops inside of Jays, he and I are going to have several "stations" setup. This will allow folks who want to talk about for example, vacuum pucks or pods to get together in one spot while those who want to see the machine run can in another part of the shop. This will allow everyone to go to a special interest area and not have to sit through some topic that they are not interested in or that they already know about. The day will be fun, relaxing and the information will be flowing!

Hope to see everyone that was at my shop last year and many new faces as well.

And if you need more to get you to come out, there will be door prizes!

Remember to email us!

Hey Ed and Jay,

I'll volunteer to run the "Eating BBQ" special interest area...that's definitely my special interest!

Bill

OK. We have Bill Young down for the BBQ Judge and eating station. Do we have anyone else who would like to offer any other special interest?

I hope everyone will bring something they have made. Pictures are fine too but I would love to see the project if you can bring it.

If anyone wants to learn about something, or see something that they are interested in, please let us know so we can have that available if possible.