Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: design and toolpathing software for older shopbots

Lightbulb design and toolpathing software for older shopbots

does anyone have any recommendations on design software or tool pathing software possibly any links to a place where you can download or buy software that is compatible with Windows 98 so that it can run on an old shopbot running version 2.38 ?

Maybe even file converting software to create shopbot cut files?

Have you tried running in compatibility mode?

As long as you are not doing the design work on the win 98 machine, it won't matter. Vectric will work just fine. Just sneaker net the files or connect the win 98 machine to the network and share files with it. My PR is running on a 98 machine and I do design work in Win7 with Aspire. Shopbot files are nothing but text.

Thanks Donek, what exactly is "sneaker net the files" mean? I am pretty new to shopbot. Would the best bet be to just try to find a wireless network adapter that is compatible with the old 98 computer, install it and connect through my network that way? The computer is old and doesn't recognize the modern usb2.0 even after I installed the drivers, so using the Cisco lynksys AE2500 I bought is out of the question, and there is obviously no modern data port like a cat 5 or phone jack at all so I have nothing still
    I do have typesetter! With 2 fonts lol so at least I'm making sawdust, which is further than I ever imagined I'd be at this stage.
    Also, is aspire worth the cash just starting out? Compared to starting with vcarve or another competitor? My income is extremely limited, like extremely limited, but I still really like the capability of aspire

>> "sneaker net the files"

Creating the file on one computer, placing it on a portable media like an SD card, and then transporting it, via the sneakers (or loafers, or whatever type of shoe you have) to your other computer. Another words, copy the file to an SD card and walk it over to your production machine attached to the ShopBot. That's how I do it. I keep the SB computer off the network completely. I think a lot of SB'ers do that as well.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

James, go to the Vectric website and study both v-carve and Aspire. They have trial versions of both and I think you can upgrade from V-carve to Aspire, but look at their website to get the correct information...joe

Thanks, I have never heard that terminology before lol. I am still trying to get the USB drivers updated in a way it will recognize mass storage devices I think it's a usb2.0 problem. I happy to be picking up on the lingo lol, thanks again

I wish I could make use of the trial versions but none are compatible with windows 98, so I can't actually put any of the cut files to the shopbot because the trial versions limit the ability to save a file. I'm almost 100% sure I am just going to have to upgrade the control board so I can run my machine from a more capable computer

James,
    May be worth calling Shopbot and seeing what the cost would be to upgrade to the "Shopbot Edition" of VCP8 (only PP is for Shopbot machines, but otherwise identical). VCarvePro8 now has a modeling tab like Aspire as well as an integral clipart section for many 3D models included and has LOTS of new tools compared to what you have
    MAY save you some bucks?
    Dianne in sales probably your best bet for pricing info.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine