Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to wind it down.

Default Time to wind it down.

After Umpteen years I've decided it is time to wind it down. As many of you know I operate a custom cabinet shop and in an effort to reduce the stress I downsized from a pretty big plant with a bunch of employees that was a far commute from home to a smaller place close to home with only a couple men 2 years ago.
    The "less stress" plan has not worked out so well. The difference in producing with a large number of employees, of which most were semi-skilled in one or more areas, but few were true cabinetmakers in the middle of an industrial area to needing to have at least one good reliable true cabinetmaker in a less industrial area and the lack of craftsmen in the labor pool has been much more daunting than I anticipated. As a result, I've been working even more hours, and instead of being less involved physically with the "heavy lifting", I have had to be even more into production while also handling the rest of the admin since the company is now too small to justify an Office Manager/Bookkeeper. So jobs have taken longer than they should to get built and deadlines are harder and harder to make. Even my oldest clients I considered friends have reacted by ignoring the many years of good service they have received, and instead simply demand more product produced quicker.

At 65, I'm still in pretty good shape, but the years are starting to tell with little things like hands that are starting to shake a little, endurance reduced, and the enjoyment level sinking.

As of now, I am still booked with projects that will take most of the rest of the year to complete, so there is some time to come up with a good "what's next" plan and my wife and I have begun exploring that.

For sure though, this aspect of my professional life is targeted for completion.

For any of you out there that would like to discuss a takeover or buy-out get in touch. The cabinet market is actually pretty good around here and much of my company issues can likely be attributed to my getting worn down with the years. Many companies around me are expanding, and I expect that, if I had more interest in it, I could modify a few things and continue on. I'm just ready for more of a semi-retirement gig and the overhead on this much of a shop won't allow that. Note that no tools will be sold prior to current projects being delivered, but if someone wants to discuss a takeover the schedule can be accelerated with the understanding that they take over existing projects (I'll be glad to make arrangements to assist on an interim basis)

Dave
    Last edited by bleeth; 06-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Dave, sorry to hear that you are tiring but I understand as I have lost my endurance too. I'm sure that you will find a new direction for a new time in life. Good luck on your new adventure.

Sorry to hear Dave, but hitting the big 6 0 myself this year and can understand with all those sheet goods.
    If you're still thinking about being a "Reverse Snowbird" with an RV and a Desktop...DO think about swinging by for a free water/electric hookup,home cooked meal, chew the fat, etc..!!!
    You've always been a big help...even before I had a machine!
    Got the Master bedroom/bath taken second week of June next year by a Desktopper from OZ and his wife, but similar offer to you if you can stand having your ear talked off
    Inlays/3D/ or small stuff out of exotics/funkies ever appeal to you?
    Time to do your "Bucket List"
    Best wishes,
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Dave,

I totally understand your position. Arthritis in my hands has made this profession more and more difficult. I've always had a long term plan for my shop building when woodworking was no longer a viable option. At 57, my body has been torn down by 8 years as a structure firefighter/wildland firefighter, 23 years of hard military service and hard farm life growing up, not to mention 20 years of racing sailboats (not as easy and glamorous as it looks on TV). Lots of broken bones and other injuries take their toll later in life. I figure I have two to three more years and I will have to switch to my backup plan.

After 45+ years of woodworking (15 of it professional), it will be tough to move on. But I know, as I get older, a change in direction is normal.

It has been great interacting with you on this forum over the last 6 years. I wish you all the best going forward. If you decide to take on RV traveling, and you make a trip to the northwest you are welcome here. I have water/sewer/electric hookup on my property.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Be careful of slowing down. Bad things are trying to catch up!

I retired a couple of years ago but I stay busy ... very busy. I used to do what ever the job demanded. Now I do what I want to do.

Between the disability and what comes naturally at 67, I sure get it. That's why I've replaced all the big equipment in the last year or two and have now listed my Buddy 48 so I'm not tempted to take on "big 'n heavy" projects. Just too much pain and strain along with slowing down mentally. I'm doing like Paul though, staying very busy. ENJOY!
    Shopbot Buddy BT48-12z alpha
    2', 4', 8' Powersticks
    Shopbot indexer
    Shopbot airdrill
    4hp HSD spindle
    Aspire 4.5

Good luck I am sure you will be successful in whatever you decide, if its not fun and getting stressful its not worth it.

Dave, sorry to hear it! I was hoping that move would be a good one for you. Thanks for your help over the years and hosting the camp. I'm almost 54 and struggling with the joints and such also. The brain is still young but the body has other ideas. Good luck selling the business and something will probably come up.

Mark Farris
    Gainesville Fl

Good luck in retirement Dave! I might be one of the "young" guys here but after 21 yrs in the shop even I feel there are days where I think this is what 65 might feel like never mind I'm just shy of 45. Lol...and I still have at least 20 yrs to go.

My father is going to be 85 this fall and still puts in 8 hour days at the shop we used to own. Not because he has to or needs to, but because he loves it. But when you only need to do the work and not worry about the business, it's completely different as you know.

I always enjoyed your input here probably more than anyone else. Straight to the point, honest but never rude. You are an asset to the forum for sure and im sure to the industry.

Bleeth

Don't go sneaking for the door just yet. I don't know that we are through with you. I think you have value to add to the markets- so do what you need to with the cabinet side of things- and let's start talking about "what comes next". You are pretty good at SHopBot diagnoses and tips and tricks. Maybe the next thing is Florida Regional ShopBot Guru--- or sumthin....

Monty