Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New "high tech" dust foot, opinions?

Much better to have the hose in front IMO. I'm not a fan of the squashed inlet type solutions. If the brush and base disconnect via magnets like the Kent shoe then changing the bit is not a problem and far easier than the SB solution. To be honest the only issue I've ever had with my Kent shoe is cutting right at the front of the table where the air flow is lost off the edge of the table. Other than that it's absolutely perfect.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    To be honest the only issue I've ever had with my Kent shoe is cutting right at the front of the table where the air flow is lost off the edge of the table.
    I do a lot of 3d cutting, and this is the main reason I'm working on this new foot. A soon as my current foot hangs off the edge, or the surface falls away dust is simply launched across the table with little of it being sucked up.

I'll take all your suggestions so far and see what we can come up with in terms of revisions.

Keep giving me info! This is great.

As for a price point, what would you be willing to "pay" for a complete foot like this? We aren't sure how much it would cost to make. Fairly expensive if I only make one for myself with the price dropping sharply if we actually made these as a product.

One thing I noticed with my own experiments, is that mostly vertical air flow is not that effective. The rotating bit will sling particles horizontally across the surface and it takes deceleration over a minimum distance to slow them down sufficiently to reverse course and go up into the DC. That means a narrow gap around the foot will have only a very short area of high horizontal air velocity and the particles may just zoom through (especially heavier ones of plastic or metal). A radially wider channel seems to work better, e.g. a wider brush or a flat rimmed foot.

I still need to make some permanent modifications for my own dust foot along these lines. Right now it is only a concentric shroud around the spindle that moves up and down and a sliding extension that is stationary in height relative to the material. Works kind of O.k. but my DC is only 1 hp and some heavier particles escape. However one advantage is that I can slide the extension up for access to the collet and, the air stream provides \ample cooling for my (technically water cooled) spindle

Myself I like a shoe that doesn't go up and down with the spindle. I have mine so I set it to the material and it stays there while the spindle moves up and down. also I only have a 3.5 diameter brush that gives me a good pickup even on the edges of the bot. it is a back fed but not the squishy hose.

I've thought about what would be a more ideal solution for a dust foot and it seems that adding a flat jet of air from the back of the foot blowing to the front would improve chip recovery and also keep more chips out of the curf. The shape of the Kent foot seems pretty good. If I'm working close to the front of the machine, the chips do go flying when the vacuum is off the table edge but most of the time, I just keep my work in about a foot to prevent that.

While your new design certainly looks cool and might avoid the issues of clamp clearance, the restricted flow due to the constrained dust connection would make it less useful. The reason the Kent foot is shaped the way it is probably has a lot to do with high flow rate for the dust collector. I doubt that can be changed much without restricting the flow a lot.

If you could build a better mousetrap than the Kent design, I'd pay $100 for it. I'd really have to be convinced though. I like the Kent design.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I think your design would work better if the hose port came in at a 45* angle rather than straight down.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I designed and made the dust shoe shown in the attached photos. This one is vacuum formed. Like yours it has a smaller opening which provides better suction where it's needed. I also think the angle at the opposite end of the shoe provides better air flow. I hope you are successful in building a better dust shoe.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default hinge

Could you make the front half of the foot "hinge out of the way" so you can get the wrenches to the router easier ?
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    I designed and made the dust shoe shown in the attached photos. This one is vacuum formed. Like yours it has a smaller opening which provides better suction where it's needed. I also think the angle at the opposite end of the shoe provides better air flow. I hope you are successful in building a better dust shoe.
    Phil
    Very nice. Good to hear it has improved performance, at least we are on the right track. Ours is moulded plastic, not thermo formed. It will let us do some fairly complex shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    Could you make the front half of the foot "hinge out of the way" so you can get the wrenches to the router easier ?
    No need
    The brush is attached with magnets and is easily removable. The base which attaches to the spindle is well above the nut, shouldn't be any problem with getting tools in there.

dust shoe discussion is a mute point...

unless the dc has needed cfm no matter the design...

12mm bit hogging out a panel @ 9mm doc @ 6100mm/min makes for a nice rooster tail of chips
    Vector Studio 22