Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting my PC router to water-cooler spindle

Default Converting my PC router to water-cooler spindle

Using Fozzyber's Water cooled spindle installed thread as inspiration, I took the plunge this weekend and bought a 3-ph 2.2kw ER20 water-cooled spindle off Amazon. I expect it to arrive tomorrow.

Now come the questions...

First, I know from reading here that I need shielded cable from the VFD to the spindle motor. Do I also need it from the 3-ph 220vac box on the wall to the VFD? I presume not, but thought I'd ask.

Second, any recommendations for the shielded cable? I did some quick searching here and found two recommendations: LAPPUSA U761604 and UGRACNC cable.

PS - My Shopbot is a 2008 9648 PRS Standard with a PC router, converted in 2011 to a 24" Z with added side rails, taller posts and lowered deck,. I use it almost exclusively for 3d machining foam for patterns in my composites business.
    Last edited by dauntless; 06-08-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added PS...

Hardwire from switch or j-box to VFD can be SO cord. I like having a switch between j-box and VFD as added surge protection when not on. For gauge of it and VFD to Spindle run you want to match the gauge to the amps drawn on start-up.

For example: For a standard 20 Amp commercial breaker you typically run 12 GA, whereas in your 15 Amp residential you run 14 GA.
    30 Amp-10GA; 50Amp-8GA

Note above is a guideline and other factors, such as length of runs, comes into play and your choices should be verified with a licensed electrician.
    3 phase is trickier than single as some 3PH systems have a high leg and some don't. If you don't know what I mean without looking it up I suggest you have an electrician wire it.

I set mine up with a radiator/fan. Also notice the small whirlygig in
    the coolant line- I had a pump **** out and was happy I had it and
    noticed there was no flow before the spindle burned up. Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been running my 2.2 spindle with a pump thats made for a wet saw with 4 gallons of RV antifreeze in a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket for 2 years now. With a lid of course. Pretty much a closed system. Used clear tubing so I had a visual of the flow but to be honest I rarely look anymore. The spindle stays cool to touch and has never even gotten warm. I don't see the need for the fans and all. With the aluminum housing of the spindle and the antifreeze disapates plenty of heat. I made sure to wire it to one leg of the 220 running the invertor so it's running when the spindle is turned on. That way there would be no chance of forgeting to turn the pump on. Your gonna love it. Great upgrade!
    Last edited by kurt_rose; 06-08-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.

bleeth, the 220 is on 20A breakers and appears to be 12 GA, so will plan to continue with that. I also like the idea of a switch...thanks!

Gene, thanks for the tips and great photo. I have wondered if I could get away with less than a 5 gal bucket of coolant, and love the idea of mounting it all off the Z-beam.

Kurt, I don't know what a wet saw is, but I have a 120 gph 110v fountain pump. Thanks for the suggestion to wire the pump to the same power as the inverter. Not to underestimate the challenge of making something idiot proof, but that sound pretty close!

You can't wire the 110V pump to the same line as the 220V VFD, as there is no neutral line.

5 gal minimum...if you do runs over 16 hrs water is gonna start to get warm especially with summer temps. I have 25 gals and with the Aug-Oct temps here the tank starts to warm up after 20 hrs of cutting
    Vector Studio 22

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    You can't wire the 110V pump to the same line as the 220V VFD, as there is no neutral line.
    I have several 110 circuits within easy reach.

Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
    5 gal minimum...if you do runs over 16 hrs water is gonna start to get warm especially with summer temps. I have 25 gals and with the Aug-Oct temps here the tank starts to warm up after 20 hrs of cutting
    Thanks, but I rarely work beyond 8-10 hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I run a 110 injector pump off my 200 water pump. You just need to add a common wire.

I measured the coolant line nipples at .281", so I presume I can just use 1/4" ID clear vinyl hose for the coolant, and just force it onto the nipple?