Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DELTA 50-181 Dust Collector Mods!

Like Gerald's rig for mod'ing an existing single stage for dedicated use he had because of footprint/HEPA/metal can/ducting.
    Unsure of Monty's needs/machines.
    Don't especially like anything(1 micron/seal) about this guys exact set-up(and he talks as much as I do which is annoying , BUT if Monty wanted to convert his 2hp single to a double..He covers a lot of the salient points.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB9kc9pWJp0
    Thanks for link David...How it should be done for a full shop.
    Interested in your Fine separation Gerald, and how you go about your pressure foot DC
    Think I'll shut up now.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I only use the DC for my ShobBot. So this guy's solution would work well for me. What I was kind of confused about was the actual set up. His talk-through on it basically told me everything I was questioning in my head. I would be able to look at that and configure a system. I will go out and look at HEPA Filters. I have basically everything except a Can for the first stage and the Dust Deputy that would go on top, and the HEPA filter. And I don't get a whole lot of dust... but a good filter is always a benefit in a cutting environment!

Thanks very much, Scott. I was looking for some mystery in this... and there appears to be little or none! ( A picture is worth a thousand words, for sure.)

Monty

Gerald,
    I saw an 18 gallon can on Oneida's page while I was looking for $99, and I like the steel can with locking lid I got from them on mine.
    Was Oneida where you got your red can?
    What size IS your can?
    Judging by 10gallon I have, I could probably do a 20gallon from the wheelchair,but not much more.
    Was thinking a galvanized trash can that they sell up here for woodstove ashes and just fab a BB Ply lid with rugged gasket, but like the idea of all steel.
    You're welcome Monty, but Gerald got my bu** in gear!
    (not very good at shutting up am I?
    scott P.
    Maine

Yes talking of mods I did to my drum based roll around however older DELTAs had American made quality electric motors, in my case a 2HP BALDOR whereas most ready made cyclone machines like the one you mention will generally have a Chinese **** motor. (Chinese AC motor can be hit and miss...........I just replaced the 1.5HP on my lathe which crapped out after maybe a few hundred hours of service. The US made replacement also rated for 1.5HP has loads more torque!) Also since I already had the Delta collector is was still cheaper to do these mods and plus I added wireless remote control. You must bear in mind that I am in Canada so that new $1295 DC is gonna run $1600 here in Canadian funds plus 13% taxes on the purchase. I am $1000 usd all in with this set-up including my initial purchase price of the DELTA collector. Still a good savings to be had for anyone who already has a decent quality blower on a non-cyclone dust collector.

Gerald

My red barrel with the locking lid is 30 gallons. It originally had industrial soap in it. I may eventually paint it and make some nice decals to dress it up like a store bought unit but need to come up with a name for it yet. We have a local guy around here who stocks and resells empty industrial containers in all shapes and sizes. Apparently this is a rare size that he doesn't often get so I was pleased to find it. It was $50 delivered to my house which seemed fair enough. I did have to cut the 6 in hole and bolt circle in the top but I have the tools here to make that pretty straightforward. I likely would have bought the Oneida barrel but the dealer I got the cyclone from didn't have stock.

Gerald

Sounds like you lucked out...1/2 the price,almost twice the capacity
    Oops, 17 gallon not 18.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/154...y-cyclone.aspx
    Locking ring OR a good gasket seems important, as only Fines in my barrel seem to be Maple(wood I was working when nuts fell off),ZERO Padauk/Bloodwood/Purpleheart dust in the Fein in a year, so pinhole leaks must really affect Fine capture by disrupting the flow.
    Maybe have him keep his eye out for another for your shopvac when/if you go for the little one?
    On metal can for the little one...the Oneida cans metal caster brace needed a little file work to fit right anyways. ALSO loose the gasket if you get the DD! Gasket allows plastic mounting rim to deform, AND I had 2 of the nuts fall off in the first week Took gasket off...used silicone bead...no deformation and sealed well (loctite blue on nuts this time).
    Looking forward to doing like you, as emptying that cardboard Delta barrel involves getting it as far as edge of garage floor/tipping it on its side/and shoveling into leaf bag/sticking mag on lap and dumping on my pile Full mask and goggle job and THEN blowing all the spill.. plus me off!
    MAJOR PITA!
    Think I can manage a 17 gallon in lap, OR use 4" casters for dirt drive.
    Thanks Gerald
    scott P.
    Maine

Funny story about the barrel Scott was that when I started the dust collector project I just naturally went looking for a barrel on the local online classifieds and got this red one. Then several days later I went into one of my sheds and realized that I already had 2 of them full of sand that a buddy had given me when I loaned him my sandblasting rig. Can you say "DUH" but oh well these things happen! Of course these do have sand in them and they are not as nice a condition as the red one but certainly I would have saved the $50 had I remembered they were there.

If I buy the dust deputy for my shopvac the local supplier sells it as a complete kit with the cyclone, hose and 5 gallon pail so all ready to go no work required.

Gerald

I do that with tools! Of course sometimes I DON'T buy tools because I KNOW darn well I have one(only to realize the ex took it in the split or someone "Borrowed" it
    IF the plastic bucket kit, a LOT of people say how tippy it is when empty.
    Dolly with shopvac or weighting bucket seem to be best answers.
    Good luck on dust foot!
    scott P.
    Maine

Yes Scott, if I go with the plastic pail dust deputy I will likely attach it directly to the shop vac to make as a single unit that rolls around together.

I built a new mounting bracket for the SHOPBOT to clamp the dust collection down pipe and I also installed a large hanger spring in the center of the 4" PVC hose to allow for a non binding motion over the limits of the table. I shot a short video which I uploaded to youtube if anyone is interested. I didn't run the collector or router as it was a just a basic motion test to ensure unrestricted motion of the hose thru all 4 corner limits. Give the video a quick view, its only 2 mins long and please give it a thumbs up if you enjoy the content.

Gerald

Last edited by backyard_cnc; 06-17-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Well as a running update to this thread, I have now approx. 1/3 filled the red barrel on my dust collector and there is virtually nothing in the plastic bag on the filter, I didn't remove it but less than a few ounces of chips. This may vary when I cut MDF as so far it has just been PVC which has a small but course chip size. Still awesome though as even the PVC chips would end up in the filter bag to a certain extent with the original drum set-up.

Very happy!

Gerald