Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DELTA 50-181 Dust Collector Mods!

Default DELTA 50-181 Dust Collector Mods!

Dust collection has always been a shortcoming of my SHOPBOT PRT CNC router set-up and I recently undertook to make some drastic improvements. I have an older DELTA 50-181 dust collector that sat on a 55 gallon drum. It could move lots of air and had a premium BALDOR 2HP motor but separation of fine dust from MDF or the plastics that I work with was very poor and much ended up in the filter bag, quickly plugging it up . Also as anyone who has one of these is aware, lifting off the blower and lid assembly to empty the drum is a serious chore as it must weigh at least 75lbs if not more. Anyway after a few years of this I finally decided to separate the blower from the drum lid and build a adapter plate that would allow it to attach to the 6" inlet of a Super Dust deputy cyclone. The cyclone alone was a massive improvement but I figured why stop there so I ordered up a HEPA cartridge filter from my local woodworking toy store and set about making the vireos brackets and duct work to tie it all together. With all this done I now have a very effective collector and I just have to run some duct work to the SHOPBOT and then improve my collector foot on the table itself. Gonna be great, I just know it! Initial tests show the separation of even the finest of dust is nearly 100% with virtually nothing ending up in the filter bag. This is such an improvement that it just amazes me. It did cost me $650 Canadian dollars to do this upgrade but since I already had the DELTA it was worth the investment as a readymade 2HP cyclone at the local store was about $1600.

Gerald
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Gerald!
    Got the little DustDeputy and a Fein IIHepa on the Desktop, and after a year and a half, the filter still looks virtually brand new and only about a quarter cup of superfines in the bottom(if that).
    If the big brother, is even half as good...It'll be YEARS before that HEPA bag has enough to take out to the pile The red can is a Whole different matter(maybe add a window so you don't fill it to the brim or over!...only clue you'll have is reduced suction and the motor sounds different).
    Every time I start my "Puffball" Delta in the garage now it makes me cringe, and emptying from the wheelchair is a CHORE.
    Saw a few people got the bigger one, but haven't heard any long term reports back.
    NICE not to have to drink sawdust with your coffee and find out what wood you were cutting by blowing your nose at the end of the day
    Your eyes and throat will thank you!!
    I need to do that for my big tools when I get a little cash together for my big machines in garage proper, now that I know the difference it makes.
    Let us know how the 2hp works with that.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for the comments Scott, I was planning to get the smaller dust deputy for my shop vac as well after seeing how well its big brother works. The cyclone design is so efficient I did some tests with no filter attached at all just straight exhaust and picked up a few cups of MDF dust and not a thing out the exhaust ( unless of course you plug it up solid and then it may puff a little out the exhaust. ! A great improvement over the original! I may add a small clear viewing window to the side of the drum at some point but its so easy to drop it and check compared to the old 55 gallon drum that it is not likely to be much of an issue. Another thing I did with this new setup was add a remote control for ease of use. No need to walk over to the far corner of the shop to start it up anymore!

Of course I still have to reconfigure and build new dust collection feet for the router itself and adapt something that will work even when I am using the pressure foot, which is most of the time. Actually been thinking of adding a set of clear plastic curtains to both sides of my Y axis car, held on by magnets so that even the router exhaust air which seems to move the dust around significantly should be mostly contained within the carriage area. This is just an idea right now and time will tell if it plays out.

Gerald

I CAN highly recommend smaller DD for shopvac size(110-130cfm) as we have one here,and one on Northern Desktop. Bought replacement HEPA's(Ouch$) for both Feins and they're both sitting on the shelf, and will probably be there for Years. Only VERY slight discoloration next to the inlet on the originals, and easily blew clean.
    Second Desktop is in his Dad's hand carving/oil painting/teaching workshop, and so far never a problem with dust He does have the mini-enclosure which confines chips better than mine without though.
    My Delta's just a 20yr old 3/4hp, and suction suffers because of the original bag always being dirty Hate having to toss a mask on, so HAVE been thinking buying the Super, and then venting directly outdoors. Maybe give me better suction so I don't have to buy a 2hp(only a one man shop, so only 1 machine at a time). Be nice to rig it like yours, as that stupid sheet metal deflector tries to cut my thighs every single time I lift it off.
    Yep, got an automatic to my Smartvac(Lighthouse/AllBrand motor?) for my RO station venting directly outside, and it's GREAT(except it's 2' away and I almost always forget to throw hearing protection on before starting Bosch ).
    Another nice thing about HEPA, is that when pollen is REALLY bad...I go into the shop Pretty funny going into the shop for CLEAN air!
    Some pretty nice innovations for combining shopvacs with DD out there into a single wheeled trolley. This Fein is dedicated to Desktop and Ridgid belt sander. Next time I get rich, garage will get Fein/DD(NEVER knew a shop vac didn't HAVE to scream), and Delta will get reworked like yours.
    Oh...This was Fein HEPA after 10 months, even AFTER getting container that full. 2 weeks ago it STILL looked that clean after 18 months, but didn't take pics.
    scott P.
    Maine

Guys,

I am currently using a 2HP Dust Collector straight off the ShopBot. It is the bag type collector. No chip separation. So, If I was to buy a chip separator, HEPA filter, etc., what should I be budgeting? For example, there is a system ( with too small of a chip reservoir) that is Grizzly brand. It is 1100. Is that retail? Is that reasonable? Is it a good price? I am going to go out and see if I can find comparables on the net...

Monty

Monty,

You want to look for something with a cyclone and a HEPA filter. I think 2HP is about the minimum size I would look at although that will vary by the size of your router and the amount of piping and/or tools you will connect to it. Including the cost of the Dust collector I started with I have about $1200 Canadian invested in this set-up which is about $1000usd. I am happy with the results.

Gerald

I installed the metal ductwork today to get the "Suck" over to the router. I am hoping the short length of 4" flexible hosing will cover the complete table without snagging but I may have to relocate my ceiling mounted air filter if it interferes with the hose. I still have to rejig the mounting attachment bracket on the router carriage as originally it was set up for a smaller pipe. The beauty of a SHOPBOT CNC router is it can make parts you need for your projects and with a few minutes in ASPIRE I designed some 5" duct hangers to hold the pipe along the ceiling! These were cut from some scrap plywood.

Some basic preliminary tests show that this is sure gonna be a vast dramatic improvement over my earlier set-up.

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    so HAVE been thinking buying the Super, and then venting directly outdoors. .
    Scott the main problem with venting directly outside is that it possibly evacuates much of your heat in the winter! You could notice a dramatic change in your heat bills! Maine doesn't get as cold as we get here in the central area but still likely a very real concern!
    A garage 20ft by 20ft by 8ft high has 3200 cubic feet of volume and my 2HP moves 1100 cubic feet a min so will suck the interior volume of that garage in 3 mins and dump it outside! Would likely need sort of system to recover the heat from the air before sending it outside!

Gerald

Thanks Gerald,
    Garage proper is unheated/uninsulated 22X30' with 16'peak, so not worried at the moment. My little Delta won't do more than just separate the chips it seems, but that will do until I eventually go a full 3hp cyclone rig in the far future. 12X22' heated shop where Desktop lives, seems like I lucked out with the FeinII HEPA and the small metal can DD as far as matching cfm/vac pressure to the Desktop. Thanks.
    Monty,
    Spent several hours again yesterday reading threads/Pentz/Thein(just as confused now as when I first researched. For BEST Fine separation, there are so many variables it seems best to buy a fully matched system, BUT many have used a 2hp system with Gerald's type rig for Grizzly/Delta/HF/Jet it seems they were VERY happy. Seems SuperDustDeputy Fine separation varies from 1 bag of Fines/10bags of chips(worst case) to virtually Nothing in the bag from everything I read yesterday. Too many variables. Get a True pleated HEPA like Gerald though from all I read.
    Just a couple links to get you truly confused
    My little Delta just ain't going to hack it so just going to shoot fines outdoors after separating chips, and buy a better mask.
    Scott
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...hlight=cyclone

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...yclone#p147088

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...hlight=cyclone

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sea...earchid=153176
    scott P.
    Maine

Are you guys talking about $1000.00 plus to modify a roll around dust collector? Here is a link to 2.5HP Cyclone collector. They also make a 3 and 5HP version, both single phase. They will also help with planning the duct work. I had the 5HP when my shop burned and plan on replacing it when ready. Just a few more $$.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP1425S.html