Thread: cheap alternates to Formica?

Question cheap alternates to Formica?

I like to do parametric tables and shelves but I suck at finishing and like the look of laminates but here is the thing. Formica down at the local home improvement store runs $60-90 a sheet. Plastic for road boxes is about half that but quite limited in colors.

So my question is, is there something out there that goes on like Formica but is reasonably durable and much less expensive?

I've seen peel and stick stuff advertised but is any of it much more than glorified shelf paper?

What about thinking outside the box? is there flooring or something I should look into?

As always, any help is much appreciated.

There are Formica distributors in Pensacola and Montgomery. If you are a licensed business that builds with it you can buy direct for less.
    Usually not hard to register and they may have trucks that go to your area on a schedule.
    Thinking of Formica or other high pressure laminates as inexpensive though is a misconception. Between the substrate, laminate, and adhesive it
    isn't cheap, but is one of the least costly ways to go and get any kind of a variety in appearance and have decent durability.
    There are some "no-names" that cost less. If you deal with cabinet hardware distributors check them. Many like Richelieu carry a few different lines.

you could also look into possibly having parts finished in a membrane press. i used to have one and that thing could do more stuff than any spray booth or lam' shop.

Default Craigs List

Search Craig's list under materials, or sometime a Habitat for Humanity store will have quite a bit of laminate material.

One other question, can Corian be bought in 1/4 inch or even 1/8 inch thicknesses ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Corian is available in limited colors in 1/4"

Our habitat sells it for $3.00 a sheet