Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting someone else's material

Default Cutting someone else's material

Just curious how other guys deal with this. I'm debating whether to quote a job vcarving a logo with 17" high letters into a piece of stock that's 10' long. The letters will take up about 8' of length. They are supplying the material and it will be red cedar or cypress finished with a Japanese technique called Shou-Sugi-Ban, which is a process of charring the wood and then sealing.

I don't know the exact monetary value of the material when I get it, but if I take the job I will be stressing out every second hoping we don't get a thunderstorm, millisecond power outage, or the stepper motor skips a tooth. It's happened twice in eight years.

How do you handle cutting very expensive material supplied by the customer? Even if I double or triple my rate I'll be out a lot of money if anything goes wrong. Does anyone say upfront they won't be liable for "Acts of God" so to speak?
    Carved and dimensional signs, Tolman Skiff kits, custom cnc cutting. www.SaltWaterWorkshop.com

it is pretty much all I do and it is stressful. I do all I can not to screw it up.I put a pen in my machine and draw the text on the wood so I can see text placement. I save my tollbooths so I can use a known good one and I am not starting fresh each time. I will put the machine in preview mode to check to make sure I am running the right file. I will raise the bit above the wood and do a air cut. then I will pray to the shopbot gods and cut it.

I also give them a disclosure that I am not responsible for mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    I also give them a disclosure that I am not responsible for mistakes.
    I have debated on this but not sure how it would go over. I mean if I screw up that is on me but I can't always afford to replace the material. it is the bad part of cutting other peoples material.

Besides an air cut do a test on a piece of scrap before you use their material. something cheap and bill it to them. It is for their benefit as well.

If I were using my own material I would probably order 1.5 to 2 times what I needed. Perhaps you could specify the quantity of material you require your client to provide.

The only time i was nervous was when i guy brought over a huge thick piece of Spanish Cedar worth 3-4 hundred bucks and he was going to chip carve some design and all he wanted me to do was to pocket out about 1/4 depth and i went slow and it took about an hour with no problems. I do feel though that if something screws up, it's your fault and responsibility and i was sweatin it till it finished.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

3 or 4 hundred childs stuff? the worst I did was a 1500.00 of graphite it was a rush job but I had just done it in wood but still I was sweating bullets the whole time. several large wood blanks in the 1000 range I hate to do as they take so little time to cut I don't get enough for them.

8 blanks...5K of Alder, cut for another shop...

go for it...you pull it off and your confidence soars...sure it's nerve racking but if you charge enough it's worth it. Client came to you for a reason...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vector Studio 22

Yeah at some point with the value of some material i think you have to tell them up front that "the risk is not worth the reward" and that i'm not replacing this $1500.00 worth of material just to make $100.00 and either get their agreement or just turn the work away.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson