Thread: Buddie Work Surface

Default Buddie Work Surface

I realize the Buddie system is not intended to do fulltime full sheet cabinet work like the X Gantry machines with a full bed. On the other hand it seems that the Buddie's support and spoil board mass always take away from the load that can be cut effectively without either slowing to a crawl of loosing steps in X.

Has anyone tried using a composite, honeycombed aluminum panel to get a very light wt. but still rigid support table? While somewhat costly compared to other materials, they look much stiffer for a given wt than any thing else you could find. So, at least at first glance these panels appear a worthwhile cost to allow the work piece as heavy capacity as this particular model machine could handle?

Any reports of experiences using a 4x8x [1-3/4" or 2"] composite panel as a table for a Buddie would be informative and appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin

I haven't, but I think its a great thread to start...ways to improve upon the Powerstick set up.

In the expiremental airplane buisness we use rigid high density foam cores which are much easier to work with than honeycomb. Using this material and two to three layers of 6-7 ounce bi-directional fiberglass on each side results in a very strong and very rigid panel, Adding a few aluminum "spool" shaped hardpoints gives you solid mounting points. Cost of building it yourself would be around $100.

The alternative solution is to use an Alpha machine. They don't lose steps due to the mass of the moving table. Another reason to get an Alpha, it costs more, but it does more for the bucks.

D

Michael,
    could you give a more exact definition of the foam you're recommending? I'm afraid I'm a metal worker and I'd need a description that I could give a supplier to see what a sheet would cost in rural Alaska?

Do you have any source to learn an approximation of the deflection a loaded panel or diaphragm calculation for these panels?

thanks for the idea, the aluminum honeycombs look expensive, before I ship one all this way.

Kevin,
    I haven't forgot you but am trying to obtain a couple pages of instructions for you. Should have them tomorrow. As for materials try the following web address. www.aircraftspruce.com

I found a place that produces aluminum honey comb. 1" thick 4x8 sheets were quoted as $240 before shipping. Its called they are in MI I think off the top of my head its called Plascote. I was sent some sample of the core material with no sheeting on the outside and a small piece of 1/2" laminated with aluminum skin. The price I stated was for 1" laminated.