Thread: X - Axis E-chain Install........... Finally!

Default X - Axis E-chain Install........... Finally!

Well I finally got around to installing E chain on my X axis cables to tidy things up and make the Shopbot look more professional. I had actually got the e-chain for both my X and Y axis on ebay back in 2011 and I did the Y axis pretty quick as I had snapped the original bendy strip and really didn't like the way it looked. Anyways after some 4 years, this weekend was finally the time to get it done. Fabricated some simple brackets to attach it to the frame and it all worked out quite nicely and I really like the way it looks and tidy's up that side of my machine. I also installed a permanently mounted electrical box and duplex outlet for powering the router as it has always just been fed with an extension cord.

Anyone else take as long as this to "get around to it?" :-) Maybe one day I will get a blue paint that matches and repaint the brackets.............

I posted a simple video on youtube showing the motion

Cheers
    Gerald

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by backyard_cnc; 06-21-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Nice, that's on my list of improvements to make to mine.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

Gerald,

I have the Y echain (came with the machine, I bought it used) and have been looking at getting the X axis done but not sure what size and where to buy it. I found one on Amazon that may do it but any info you have would help.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

The chain I have is 1" by 3" interior cable space and is 81" long overall. If buying used on eBay be sure to watch for pieces that include the 2 end links as these simplify your mounting at each end. Even a little smaller would be fine as i have loads of surplus space inside the chain but the upside is that it allows good separation of the AC power and the motor cables which reduces the likelihood of noise being introduced into the motors and limit sensors. Along the bottom edge of my X axis I used some 7" long aluminium bar stock, I drilled and tapped the bottom of the X axis main beam to attach them. I added a piece of 7/16" plywood as a full length support. The end bracket that attaches it to the Y carriage is simply a short piece of 1" angle iron and a 3" 1/4"-20 bolt. I cut the head off the bolt and welded it to the inner corner of the angle iron. A drilled hole in the carriage and a nut and washer and it makes a very solid mount.

Overall I am very pleased with the end result. It is a definite facelift to that side of my machine. While it is not going to impact the quality of cuts it eliminates any possibility of a cable snag or having the router come unplugged due to cable binding.

Gerald

McMaster-Carr is a good resource for echain:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drag-chains/=xqxzuk