Thread: Redgum Footstool

Default Redgum Footstool

Just finished a redgum footstool for my wife. I used one of the leaf textures that comes with Aspire. The stool is heavy and solid, with a few appealing flaws (which Jan loves).

I made a second for myself. It had what looked like a minor split on the under side. Once the profile cut was done, and pressure was released on the wood, the split burst wide and the stool was lost. Lots of slabs in the shed so another will be on the machine in no time.

Cheers

Graeme
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Came out Beautiful Graeme!!
    Jan must LOVE it.
    Shame yours split, but that's what you get for trying to put your feet up
    Dug up pic from when you first dimensioned slab and I was thinking;
    "That Ain't no button!! That's a Nice CHUNK of wood!!"
    Z-Upgrade really Does come in handy
    (sorry for posting pic of Jan's slab without asking first, but what are Yanks good for if not for being brash and assuming?
    Feel free to ship me remnants of your stool(postage prepaid of course) as Redgum is "Scarce on the ground" in these parts!
    Up here women use cast iron frying pans to express their displeasure---Think your stool is deadlier!
    NICE JOB
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks, Scott. Jan can't wait to stick her feet on it.

Just finished levlling another hunk of Redgum slab. Was thinking it would make a fantastic HUGE button. You should make one for promotional purposes. It is a little on the heavy side though.

Graeme
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Only slab I've got that thick is some 12/4 Canadian Hop Hornbeam that's so tough it ATE the edge of 2 Marple chisels doing 2.75" through dovetails.
    Just checked and DO have 1 piece that isn't 10'----Only 60X15" live edge. THINK I can manhandle that---THANKS A LOT!!
    More likely a small tabletop.
    How DID you profile that on a Desktop?
    Did you start with a shorter overall length .5" bit and then start off the slab with a longer bit referenced off spoilboard?
    How thick WAS that slab after you surfaced it?
    Thanks for idea of larger promo button...Think I'll make it out of 5/4X10" Butternut though so Dad doesn't throw his back out lugging it around though
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Graeme has a great idea! Maybe a 4 foot diameter button from MDF (or extera if outside). I could cut it on my machine and drive it over to you.

Paul Z

Paul,
    Tempted to take you up on your offer just to meet you and pick your brain
    But not selling anything or making a single dollar out of the house on this, just doing proto's and shipping files and first batches to Northern Desktop to get them going. Don't need/want to call attention so Zoning guy visits and then discovers that the Beavers have made my house "Waterfront" property...They'd probably start taxing me!
    Am thinking about making 16" button(largest width Claro slab)for photo prop and Kirk's trade shows now...Quite possibly VInlay(That's this technique for really fine detailed inlay some Brainiac came up with
    Welcome to come up anytime without an excuse.....So LONG as you don't bring ANY robotic "Grippers" with you!!!
    If I want to lose a finger, I've got a snapping turtle in the pond as big as my cutting area that would be Glad to do it for me
    Thanks again for the kind offer though!
    SEE what you started GRAEME!
    Dad want's a 7/8" button and now Paul's got me up to 4'.
    NOT going to show this thread to Dad!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Paul,
    Tempted to take you up on your offer just to meet you and pick your brain
    But not selling anything or making a single dollar out of the house on this, just doing proto's and shipping files and first batches to Northern Desktop to get them going. Don't need/want to call attention so Zoning guy visits and then discovers that the Beavers have made my house "Waterfront" property...They'd probably start taxing me!
    Am thinking about making 16" button(largest width Claro slab)for photo prop and Kirk's trade shows now...Quite possibly VInlay(That's this technique for really fine detailed inlay some Brainiac came up with
    Welcome to come up anytime without an excuse.....So LONG as you don't bring ANY robotic "Grippers" with you!!!
    If I want to lose a finger, I've got a snapping turtle in the pond as big as my cutting area that would be Glad to do it for me
    Thanks again for the kind offer though!
    SEE what you started GRAEME!
    Dad want's a 7/8" button and now Paul's got me up to 4'.
    NOT going to show this thread to Dad!
    scott
    Do it Scott! Paul's a wealth of knowledge..
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5